The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1st Gen 6/7 Bolt Differences

OMFGeofffff

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks to find a place to do my clutch and finally got to do it today at my buddies house. Well me being a noob and working by myself 6 hrs later I finally get to the flywheel and bam! There's 7 bolts staring me in the face. So guys.... what are the differences besides cranks?

beaner

Weaker rods and head bolts (11mm vs 12mm). The crank girdle is redesigned and the oil pan is a different shape. Otherwise I can't really think of any other main differences.

pot

Staff member
To add whats has already been cited there remain quite a few differences to include:

- compression ratio
- Crank Angle Sensor/Cam Angle Sensor

Please check out the site listed below for more detailed information:

Vfaq

OMFGeofffff

According to this my compression ratio may be the same as a 6bolt? And I don't have a crank sensor?

beaner

+1 on the timing stuff.

99.9% sure the 1g 7bolts are the same 7.8:1 cr.

I also remembered if you want to run a 1g 7bolt head on a 6bolt block, you'll have to drill out the holes in the head to .5" for the 12mm bolts.

I popped my 6bolt two years ago and came across a 1g 7bolt longblock for 300 bucks. Swapped right in and ran money for about a year, daily drove it. Then out of nowhere the clutch would get soft if I went for a left and eventually would always stall after pushing the clutch at a stop light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I've always known the cw problem to be a 2g 7bolt thing and the 1g 7bolts were fine. Maybe I had that rare case of any motor can crankwalk but I'll never touch a 7bolt again as far as building/swapping.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned