GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Drilling 5 lug rotors for 4 lug hubs
Previous thread Next thread

Drilling 5 lug rotors for 4 lug hubs

curtis Galant VR4.org Moderator
Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic
475/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 948021 posted 11/10/10 11:16 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The rotors can be drilled...I saw Big Time Brox's Massive Parts Clearance for sale thread and someone asked so here's how with really no effort or tools. If you don't own a drill and bits your pretty well screwed at this point so you can stop reading now.

Ok your still here that means you own a drill .....gooooood deal so lets start.

All you need to do is flip over the 4 bolt rotor and set in on the 5 lug rotor. Your going to keep/use one hole of the 5 lug so center up the hub hole and then take an extra wheel stud or bolt and place it in the one hole to keep and tighten it down. Now if your really scared at this point you can use a few small c clamps and place them in the hub hole and tighten them up. Now the fun part take a center punch and a hammer and make a mark in each of the 3 holes to drill. If you don't have a set of center punches that finds the center for you a nailset sharpened up and some tape wrapped around it until it fits perfect in the hole works. Now after the hole is marked and staked with the punch get a small 1/8 or so drill bit and drill your first hole in each. Then start stepping up or use a unibit/chrismas tree bit and drill until the size is reached on each then unbolt the stud and remove clamps and drill on the backside to get rid of any metal that floated over to the inside. If your using a unibit you will only be able to drill a few steps before you'll have to stop and unbolt and set the old one aside dependant on which dia bits you use. Takes about 15 minutes to do with a hand drill, rotors are cast and really easy to drill.

If you want pictures I can do it just lazy right now and don't feel like walking out to the shop for the camera.

click me These are the ones I used for mine and probably have bought and used up 15 sets of these since harbor freight opened here in town. There not that bad if you drill a pilot hole first and don't overspeed them, I've bought the Irwin brand ($60 each) ones as well and they seem to be a little sharper at first and do last about twice as long but I can get 6 packs of Harbor freight ones for the price of one Irwin. Problem is Harbor freight got flooded and now have to drive to Nashville when I need stuff.

Oh and these are totally bad ass as well picked up a set back in the summer. click me

92 GVR4 0475/1000
Greenhouse Effect Green
Exceeds Mechanical Limits
"Put the dawg to work.
Ass, Gas or Milkbones. Nobody rides for free" Jon AKA Toybreaker

Posts: 11892 | From: Clarksville TN | Member Since: 05/04/03 | IP: (208.95.177.110) | Report this post to a Moderator

Terry Posten
Old Balls
425/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 948027 posted 11/10/10 11:31 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Uni-bits are a must have if you own a drill.

If you want to avoid having to clean the burr off of the back side of the piece you are drilling, stop drilling half way through the medium on the final "step" and flip it over and finish the step size from the back.

1992 Galant VR4 click
2010 Outlander GT S-AWC Premium w/nav (wife daily)
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury (my daily

Posts: 9009 | From: Davenport, Iowa USA | Member Since: 12/16/03 | IP: (173.26.17.192) | Report this post to a Moderator

iceman69510 Galant VR4.org Moderator
Turn Right Racing
855/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 948060 posted 11/11/10 07:20 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I have done the reverse of this a few times on rears. Typically one of the small threaded holes for rotor removal can be located to directly where another lug stud hole needs to be drilled when going that direction. May work from 5 to 4 as well.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-SOLD
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Edited by iceman69510 (11/11/10 07:22 AM)

Posts: 10827 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (74.44.219.27) | Report this post to a Moderator

KiNgMaRtY
Member +++
802/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 948080 posted 11/11/10 09:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Nice write up.

92 GVR4 #802 link
17 CTS-V,06 Evo IX MR, 98 Montero
94 MX5 M-Edition - On Xidas, LS1 Swap in progress
SOLD: 92 GVR4 #611

Posts: 800 | From: Corona, CA | Member Since: 04/08/08 | IP: (99.32.5.18) | Report this post to a Moderator

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 948087 posted 11/11/10 09:31 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Yeah even I might be able to manage this with my limited selection of tools and rooftop workshop

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Posts: 7333 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (116.48.5.202) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3614

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.04 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page