The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need HELP! Broke wheel stud, need a replacement fast!

So one of the wheel lugs was either seized on or not on right as it was stuck. Tried to take it off and just wouldn't budge...finally with enough force, the stud broke off in the lug. I need to figure out what to do fast as this is my DD. Should I try to extract the stud or just get another 4 lug hub assembly? If the latter, is there any other car I can swap it off from besides a galant vr4? Being that the parts are not that common anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

donkeylips

When my brother's wheel fell off we just bought a new knuckle. The only reason the stud can't be easily replaced is because of the ABS rotor. To replace the stud you don't need to replace the hub but you will need to press the hub out, replace the stud, then press it back in. Perfect time to do a 5-lug swap.

OZRally

Hammer the broken stud off the hub and go to a parts store to get a new stud and lug nut. Will be easier to take the rotor off.
Good luck

Sorry, should have mentioned that. It's the front. So yes, the stud is going into the abs hub. I was able to get thinner lugs and still get the wheel on but I'm not going to risk driving it as 3 of the 4 studs broke and the 3 broken ones I threaded on prob aren't held on by many threads. :S I just need to figure out what the fastest method of getting my car back on the road is.

SouthCaliVR4

Is your abs still functional? if no split the ring with a chisle & get it out of the way. if it is you need to pop the hub out & press the ring off to replace the studs then press the ring back on & return the hub to it's home.

plan on doing the wheel brg, sometimes you get lucky, Very lucky, & the hub coming out will leave the brg intack but 99.99999...% of the time the brg will be damaged when you pull the hub. if you remove the knuckle & get a brg & new studs a machine shop won't charge much to press it all apart & back together, prob around an hour with the part off the car, figgure two at a shop maybe more depending on the shop in question.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Also what other hubs could I use? Any other Mitsubishi cars that had the same ones?

And what size is the front axle bolt? I had a 36mm from my honda days but that was way too big. Is it like a 26mm?

BrandonEchols

I believe the 1G DSMs have the same front knuckle, anyone verify that?
Also, if memory serves, it's a 32mm.

Last edited:

Yeah, the ABS is still functional...didn't know about the brg. what is it? so I'll want to buy the studs and brg and take it to a shop? Is this something a shop will know how to do? (replace the brg).

THanks again for all the replies.

Ah, wheel bearing. Yes, ok, was reading about that in the FSM. With the right tool, should be easy enough. I have a reputable repair shop two blocks so I'm going to get the wheel on as tight as I can and slowly roll it there tonight and drop it off. I'm thinking tomorrow they can get it on no problem then. Just out of curiosity, what is the size of the axle nut?

SouthCaliVR4

damn, not positive but I think 32mil? I'd check but I'm at home now & wouldn't have a socket to fit. someone else got this off the top of their head?

No worries, not a big deal. Not like I'll be needing to take it off. Unless I try to drive it and it just feels too unsafe...even for a few blocks. I'm hoping it's good enough to at least drop it off at a shop near by. what a bummer though...

SouthCaliVR4

sorry I missed your alternate part question, sadly, the answer is none. tel awd/fwd & galant fwd/gsx are the same but tel have five lug & with fwd galant/gsx Abs is rare. I.e. I have never seen one with abs. Your stuck fixing yours unless you have a bud with a spare vr4 one lying around.

Bummer. Well, I ran out and bought new studs/nuts. So hopefully I can drop it off at the closest shop tomorrow and get it taken care of. THanks again.

Well, the ones that broke were long enough to get the nuts bolted on a fair amount. So I was able to drive it to the closest shop with my new studs and they're going to press out the broken ones and put the new ones on. Hopefully they know what they're doing. I hate taking my car to shops...just never know how good of a job they did...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned