The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Curtis - can you make these??

bazeng

Hey Curtis,

Here is a challenge for ya!!

Any chance of making something like this to suit the VR4 bumper??

catback_3_01_full.jpg

bimodal_01_full.jpg

They are WALKINSHAW exhausts. They do not sell them seperately!
They are machined out of ALLOY.

I think they'll look good on a galant bumper.

What do you think?

Doable?

Last edited:

curtis

Yea but would take forever on my little mill. You have to remember to cut that tip your starting with a square block an inch or so longer in each direction. I looked for something for mine years ago and came across the tips style below. Now before you see the baller price tag they could be easily duplicated with two straight sticks of stainless of aluminum and cut one at 1:30 and 5:30 and welded together and then beadblasted or chucked up in a mill or just rub a cartridge roll down the weld until smooth out. Then cut the angle of the bumper off and then clean up somemore. So yea I could build them and make them look 98% of that but running on my small mill would be ridiculous. Only challenge is finding a 3 inch to 4 or so aluminum transition and then making it flat to fit two tubes but even if I just had to pie cut them not that big of a deal. If You want something like that just yell and I can get to it in a few weeks.

My sun-room walls slowly flooded and I been trying for weeks to get them demoed and rebuilt. I'm dried in except milling some plastic bottoms of the ends of the door frames and doing the corners., I replaced the seal plates and the first foot or so with plastic lumber so I want be doing this bs ever again. Took me 2 weeks to build the dam room 8 years ago going on almost 6 weeks trying to fix it. Hoping to get house wrap on it this weekend and start putting the outside up.

Not the whole thing but just the tip.

ebay one

getting cheaper

cheaper

cool

30 bucks

$1 but 275 reserve

good pictures

curtis

By the way how much are the little beauties you posted pictures of. I'm guessing 500+ for a catback if not more.

curtis

O thought about it. I could get thick wall aluminum tubing. weld down the center of both sides then take a large ball end mill and cut from end to end dropping in .01 mm's and over .01 mm's at a time until it looked like it was one piece formed that way then cut he rear square and a slash on the other end. As long as the twin pipe isn't over about 200mm's long we can do it. After that is formed just a 3 to 3.5 inch and then a 3.5 swelled out to the correct circumference and then crush into an oval and weld.

see now you got me wanting one . That is if it doesn't end up out the side of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

bazeng

They go for $2000 USD for a catback (without cat)
But that is 2x mufflers and pipes.

They are to suit our local GM cars.

HOLDEN COMMODORES which are similar to your PONTiAC GTO's.

Here are some pictures

holden-hsv-maloo-r8-2007-8.jpg

raptorWagon

Commodores are the G8s out here, the Monaros are the GTOs, but Pontiac is no more, so no more GTOs and G8s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

JNR

(Pontiac) GTO's haven't been made for 4 years....2006 was the last year. That el camino thing is hideous and glad they never brought that "Ute" out here.

You'd be best off finding and existing extrusion somehow and modify it...that is a lot of machining for anything but a full-on mill/CNC, etc...It can be done, but the effort would be crazy (but fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ).

curtis

I figured they would be high but thats nuts, finding an extrusion that would work is about as hard as finding amg sides in the states. If My mill was double the size it is now I could do it its just large objects requires moving the object and re-zeroing in all 3 axis' and getting them dialed in on some think like that is almost impossible. Mine will hold a tolerance down to .001mm and shipping weight on the mill itself not counting the big controller cabinet was 500 pounds so the rigidity is there but the work envelope is just hella small. I'll play with the 2 inch id pipe I have one day and if things look good I'll see if I can source out some 2.25 or 2.5 id locally.

JNR

Yeah, didn't mean to make it sound like it couldn't be done, but more on the 'cost' (time/effort) to do it. Hell if I had enough time I would do one by hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The extrusion was a longshot and one of those things you'd run across that is close enough to eliminate a good part of the tedium on milling it off, etc...

curtis

I may try to take off metal to the recyclers in KY next week and look while I'm there for an extrusion. Its simply amazing walking around that place. There's about 100 factories that take there stuff there and locals as well so you never know whats there. There's mountains of stuff the stainless pile, thats about an acre just by itself, and is 20 ft high. Barrels and crates everywhere on a 25 acre lot. I need a large stainless heat exchanger anyway so this is just more reason to go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned