The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Measuring a v band wastegate

MitchooO

ok guys ive been putting it off untill now and my car is comming together, i bought a top mount manifold and have a big arse WG v band flange... i dont know how to measure it to get the right one? do i go by inside diameter, outside, or the first lip inside the flange? the inside is close to 44mm but the center is mor like a 46mm or 50mm...and i sure dont feel like buying the wrong wastegate just to not be able to use it. i will try to get a picture with the tape beside it...thanks alot! sorry if this might belong in the nooB section...

Last edited:

MitchooO

i had also thought this but the 44s im looking at dont look like they would seat on the flange, the way the inset is the other way like it would sit inside of the inner lip... but the first lip form the outside is the one thats close to 50mm?

belize1334

Get on the Punishment racing webpage and use their chat feature. Then send the guy a link to that image. They manufacture lot's of products that incorporate the Tial series so I'm sure one of their tech guys could tell you what that is in a heartbeat.

MitchooO

Quoting boosted_85:
i'm pretty sure that its a 44mm tial flange, you can take out the 44mm seat ring to make sure.

if i had one i would not be confused on what size it is... lol also punishment racings site says that they are closed untill the 1st!!! i cant wait 2 days! lol....

Last edited:

TylerAdamson

While I agree with the rest of the guys on that being of the 44mm variety I understand you not wanting to buy multiple wastegates. With that said I'm pretty sure you can go to the TiAL website and check the technical specs of all of their products. Hope this helps.

MitchooO

it did help...but im still kinda unsure why my flange has 2 different lips on it...im going to just get a 44...if it doesnt work ill just have my flange rewelded for the one i know will work! thanks for all the help guys!

TylerAdamson

The step is to seat the wastegate properly.

Here is a picture of the inlet side of the 44mm TiAL and you can see the step on the wastegate.

TI44_full.jpg

Last edited:

MitchooO

that seems to be the one!! hope it works! lol...so then i can use the synapse 50mm that they came out with a few years back? i read that they bolt to a 44mm flange

grocery_getter

Quoting TylerAdamson:
The step is to seat the wastegate properly.

Here is a picture of the inlet side of the 44mm TiAL and you can see the step on the wastegate.

TI44_full.jpg

That step is from the valve seat ring. The mounting flange of the wastegate on the manifold should be a flat surface. When the wg is mounted on a flat surface flange, the valve seat ring will then be pushed in to preload the valve a little bit to make sure that the valve is fully seated and have no leak. If the wg mounting flange is stepped like the one in OP pictures, then the wg valve seat ring will never be pushed inand will prevent the valve from seating all the way. The outlet of the wg is stepped though, as you can see on the tial picture because the dump tube flange is also stepped to make registering/ centering the flange easier. What I think happened is that someone use a stepped flange for a dump tube as the wg mounting flange on that manifold. Need to cut out the manifold wg flange and weld the right flat mounting flange on that manifold to make the wg valve seal properly.

TylerAdamson

The 44mm flange on my FP3565 is identical to the picture originally posted. I have all of the flanges supplied with the wastegate and none of them are flat, they all have the step in them.

MitchooO

well i will see if the step down is too much to let the seal not work properly...if not, it will go on a belt sander untill flattened and surfaced flat to preload the valve. ha...and if all fails i will just weld the flange that come with the wastegate i got

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned