The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

valve question

Kenny_Kline

I pulled the head off my car. I am checking valves to see if the seat correctly. I noticed that on cyl 4 & 3 intake valves, they open offset from each other. 1 Opens before the other and closes before the other by a little bit. Cyl 2 & 1 open evenly and close evenly. I spray brake cleaner in ports and let it sit for 10 minutes, no leaks. Is this normal? I am going to test exhaust side next.

Setup: BC 272cams, +1mm OS valves, BC springs/retianers 200 miles since valve job

1990ggsxnj

If one lifter is leaking or stuck in a lower position than it's supposed to, would that cause it? Just a thought.

Barnes

I agree, sounds like one lifter is pumped up more than the other. Have you double checked to make sure the rocker is seated properly on the top of the valve stem?

jepherz

Staff member
You should be able to compare the lifters by looking at the assembled head. Until they are pumped up, though, you can't really use what you are doing to jump to any conclusions. All you can make sure is that when they are closed, the valves seal properly. I disadvantage of hydraulic lifters I guess?

jepherz

Staff member
Wait a minute, you said one of the valves opens AND closes before the other? I guess that means your cam lobes are offset? Lifters being bled down would make one valve open before, and close AFTER another.

And you're asking if the valve should seal using liquid for 10 minutes? What would you expect to happen; Have it all leak out?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned