The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing/replacing flywheel

14u2nV

How much of a bish is it to remove them? I don't need to know how, just how much trouble it is. I'm gonna have to do it when I swap my tranny this weekend, as it still has the awd flywheel and it's now fwd. I'm just trying to decide what all I want to do while it's apart.

14u2nV

So, non of you technical people have done this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm gonna just assume it's hard to do, so if it's easy, I'll be pleasantly surprised. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is very easy. Just remove clutch and the six bolts, both should come off very easily. Brodie

s_firestone

Since the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft, you will want to brace the engine from the front(a socket wrench on the crank nut wedged against a cross member will do, or the crank tool). If your timing end is undone careful that you cams are aligned so that all the valves are up. You need to brace the crank only if using a wrench break the bolts loose. If your using an air impact wrench to break the bolts, bracing the engine will likely not be necessary. I don't have an opinion on whether the bolts should be inserted back into the hole they came from but I don't think it makes a difference.

I had to rock my flywheel a bit to get it off but not enough to use a puller. It was snug but not seized or corroded. But I would recommend against hitting the flywheel with anything if possible. Maybe a few taps from a rubber mallet. Careful of the starter ring, it's pressed on. Under no circumstances should you ever attempt to pry one off. That and the crank are two parts you would not want to warp.

Another tip, do not use compressed air to clean the flywheel, clutch or any assembly inside the transmission bell without breathing apparatus or in a confined space. Asbestos dust, need I say more. Use brake parts cleaner instead.

(OPTIONAL) Don't forget while you have the flywheel off you have an opportunity to see the rear main seal. If you choose to change it, it is installed in a plate the bolts onto the back of the block. The plate houses the seal. The plate has it's own paper gasket. I believe the seal is inserted from the inside, then the plate bolted back on.

As far as they flywheel, nothing to it. Remove the bolts, pull it off. Try not to ding it up if your reusing it. If your reusing it, look it over to see what condition its in, check the surface for scoring, look for stress cracks. You are recommended to take the opportunity to have it turned(like a brake rotor). If using an upgraded aftermarket clutch, having the flywheel turned and cut to the proper step(as recommended by the clutch maker) is required for warranty I believe. A quick search should reveal the common step normally used for different clutches(ACT, CF, Exedy, etc).

An alternative is to simply buy a replacement stock(what I did) or aftermarket flywheel. Stock re-manufactured flywheels are not expensive. They are pre-cut to the factory spec. Flywheels will usually last quite a while depending on how many times they are turned(cut). Eventually they get to a depth limit. I imagine how many clutch changes, types of clutches, and how much abuse play a big role in flywheel longevity. The more power your making, and the way you launch are they key to how long a given flywheel will last. I imagine a stock car, stock clutch, stock change intervals, they flywheel would last the life of the block. Higher HP, more wear, more scrutiny, less room for error.

An opinion from some of the big HP makers on the board would be welcomed on this topic. The are threads on this, but as all things, makes, manufacturers, and recommended combinations change.

When you put the flywheel back on. Apply a little threadlocker(red) to the bolts as you put them in. Tighten by hand. Then, tighten bolts opposite one another in two or three stages(evenly) with a torque wrench. Step the torque up in one or two steps always tightening across. Then torque to the factory specified torque. The idea is even torque on the opposite bolts.

The technique in tightening and torque are important when you consider the amount of energy that will be imparted, stored, and exchanged with the clutch in the mass of this part. If not torqued properly and something goes wrong, they don't call it a "FLY" wheel for nothing.

The short answer is, its a simple part to replace. But treat it no less importantly than the rest of the job.

Stephen Firestone
1992 Galant VR-4 #918 of 1000

14u2nV

Quote:
I don't need to know how, just how much trouble it is.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info, now I won't have to figure it out on my own (though it takes some of the fun out of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) I'll let you know how it turns out.

That was awfully elaborate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just use an impact gun and pull the bolts out. It takes about ten seconds. You don't need to brace anything.

The only thing I will suggest is not using a severely cracked or lightened stock flywheel.

Jesh

SPEC makes a nice flywheel. granted its for a AWD the stock flywheel weights 18.2lbs the SPEC flywheel only weights 8lbs. it costs about $300.

atc250r

Staff member
Yeah, I'm hoping he's done doing the job by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned