GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Removing/replacing flywheel
Previous thread Next thread

Removing/replacing flywheel

14u2nV
Resident Pedobear

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302155 posted 02/03/06 09:51 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
How much of a bish is it to remove them? I don't need to know how, just how much trouble it is. I'm gonna have to do it when I swap my tranny this weekend, as it still has the awd flywheel and it's now fwd. I'm just trying to decide what all I want to do while it's apart.

~Kenneth Brian
"Censorship offends me" ~Author Unknown

Posts: 9397 | From: Agency/St. Joe, MO | Member Since: 07/22/04 | IP: (207.192.227.177) | Report this post to a Moderator

14u2nV
Resident Pedobear

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302246 posted 02/03/06 01:13 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So, non of you technical people have done this? I'm gonna just assume it's hard to do, so if it's easy, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

~Kenneth Brian

Posts: 9397 | From: Agency/St. Joe, MO | Member Since: 07/22/04 | IP: (207.192.227.177) | Report this post to a Moderator

Brodie
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302247 posted 02/03/06 01:14 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It is very easy. Just remove clutch and the six bolts, both should come off very easily. Brodie

| | | IP: (69.34.19.96) | Report this post to a Moderator

s_firestone
Ctrl-Alt-Boost
918/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302272 posted 02/03/06 02:17 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Since the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft, you will want to brace the engine from the front(a socket wrench on the crank nut wedged against a cross member will do, or the crank tool). If your timing end is undone careful that you cams are aligned so that all the valves are up. You need to brace the crank only if using a wrench break the bolts loose. If your using an air impact wrench to break the bolts, bracing the engine will likely not be necessary. I don't have an opinion on whether the bolts should be inserted back into the hole they came from but I don't think it makes a difference.

I had to rock my flywheel a bit to get it off but not enough to use a puller. It was snug but not seized or corroded. But I would recommend against hitting the flywheel with anything if possible. Maybe a few taps from a rubber mallet. Careful of the starter ring, it's pressed on. Under no circumstances should you ever attempt to pry one off. That and the crank are two parts you would not want to warp.

Another tip, do not use compressed air to clean the flywheel, clutch or any assembly inside the transmission bell without breathing apparatus or in a confined space. Asbestos dust, need I say more. Use brake parts cleaner instead.

(OPTIONAL) Don't forget while you have the flywheel off you have an opportunity to see the rear main seal. If you choose to change it, it is installed in a plate the bolts onto the back of the block. The plate houses the seal. The plate has it's own paper gasket. I believe the seal is inserted from the inside, then the plate bolted back on.

As far as they flywheel, nothing to it. Remove the bolts, pull it off. Try not to ding it up if your reusing it. If your reusing it, look it over to see what condition its in, check the surface for scoring, look for stress cracks. You are recommended to take the opportunity to have it turned(like a brake rotor). If using an upgraded aftermarket clutch, having the flywheel turned and cut to the proper step(as recommended by the clutch maker) is required for warranty I believe. A quick search should reveal the common step normally used for different clutches(ACT, CF, Exedy, etc).

An alternative is to simply buy a replacement stock(what I did) or aftermarket flywheel. Stock re-manufactured flywheels are not expensive. They are pre-cut to the factory spec. Flywheels will usually last quite a while depending on how many times they are turned(cut). Eventually they get to a depth limit. I imagine how many clutch changes, types of clutches, and how much abuse play a big role in flywheel longevity. The more power your making, and the way you launch are they key to how long a given flywheel will last. I imagine a stock car, stock clutch, stock change intervals, they flywheel would last the life of the block. Higher HP, more wear, more scrutiny, less room for error.

An opinion from some of the big HP makers on the board would be welcomed on this topic. The are threads on this, but as all things, makes, manufacturers, and recommended combinations change.

When you put the flywheel back on. Apply a little threadlocker(red) to the bolts as you put them in. Tighten by hand. Then, tighten bolts opposite one another in two or three stages(evenly) with a torque wrench. Step the torque up in one or two steps always tightening across. Then torque to the factory specified torque. The idea is even torque on the opposite bolts.

The technique in tightening and torque are important when you consider the amount of energy that will be imparted, stored, and exchanged with the clutch in the mass of this part. If not torqued properly and something goes wrong, they don't call it a "FLY" wheel for nothing.

The short answer is, its a simple part to replace. But treat it no less importantly than the rest of the job.

Stephen Firestone
1992 Galant VR-4 #918 of 1000

Stephen Firestone
1992 GVR4 #918 of 1K

Posts: 1610 | From: Park City, UT USA | Member Since: 06/27/02 | IP: (24.170.24.226) | Report this post to a Moderator

14u2nV
Resident Pedobear

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302276 posted 02/03/06 02:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

I don't need to know how, just how much trouble it is.

Thanks for the info, now I won't have to figure it out on my own (though it takes some of the fun out of it ) I'll let you know how it turns out.

~Kenneth Brian

MattPark
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 302302 posted 02/03/06 03:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
That was awfully elaborate

Just use an impact gun and pull the bolts out. It takes about ten seconds. You don't need to brace anything.

The only thing I will suggest is not using a severely cracked or lightened stock flywheel.

| | | IP: (24.21.79.121) | Report this post to a Moderator

Jesh
Member +
898/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 850813 posted 11/19/09 03:16 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
SPEC makes a nice flywheel. granted its for a AWD the stock flywheel weights 18.2lbs the SPEC flywheel only weights 8lbs. it costs about $300.

'92 Galant VR4 898/1000
'91 Galant GSX - parts
'93 Laser RS - gone

Posts: 282 | From: Soldotna, Alaska | Member Since: 11/12/09 | IP: (24.237.254.185) | Report this post to a Moderator

Muskrat
665/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 850833 posted 11/19/09 07:45 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
^^ Wow, talk about raising the dead! This topic is over 4 years old!

Brian L.
91 Galant VR-4 #665/2000

Posts: 2106 | From: Lexington, KY | Member Since: 06/13/04 | IP: (12.188.154.180) | Report this post to a Moderator

solidviper89
Patty Purex
0425/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 850973 posted 11/19/09 05:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
lol

resurrecting the dead

Posts: 759 | From: Mission/ San Antonio, Texas | Member Since: 08/19/04 | IP: (129.115.251.33) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 851000 posted 11/19/09 07:31 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Yeah, I'm hoping he's done doing the job by now.

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (68.197.62.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1788

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.046 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page