The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lowering Springs. EU available?

lads and lassies!

Looking for Lowering springs for my JDM Galant Vr4. My supplier of H&R reckons the options for the Galant are US only and not Europe.

Anyone this side of the pond have any clues or where to go for a decent set? Nothing major, just trying to drop it down a few mm.

Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The part number is different than I have seen in the US, but the applications look correct by model.

I forget, do you have an E38 or E39. or some other model?

Revisiting these. I am also in the market for new suspension. Not coilovers but keeping the OEM standards.

I see Rockauto has KYB adjustables in stock.

On their part list they list the Galant as a 2.0 DOHC. I guess this is the same for the VR4? I really want to make sure as I dont want to order the parts from the US shipped to Ireland and they turn out wrong!

KYB 741013 AGX listed for the Rears.
KYB 734005 AGX listed for the fronts.

Anyone else have these fitted to a VR4 and can confirm? I will most likely pair them with the HR springs listed above....

Thanks in advance!!

Looks like correct fitment. Had them, didn't like them. Made the car unsettled over bumps.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have the AGX on my 91, which I made into homemade coilover setups.

On my 92 daily driver, I used the KYB standard application (I think for Eclipse GSX) and Eclipse AWD springs (fronts cut shorter). I really liked the ride/handling combo for the street and daily use. I don't have that car anymore, but it was decent set up.

Cheers Iceman, RockAuto have those KYB replacements in stock. Ill dig further.

Its a pure OEM car, so a little lower but pliant road ride is what I'm after.

gvr4ever

Seems to be mixed reviews. I have AGXs and H&Rs and I like them. I think H&R revised them as some point, and I have the newest version. I wonder if that has to do with the wild differences in opinions. Might be a tad bouncy on bad, broken parts of the road, but compliant on most roads. Probably one level softer than I had on my Celica GTS that was a daily.

@gvr4ever

Thanks, any chance you can post up the part numbers for the H&R springs you bought? Are they the 40mm drop. Would be brilliant to have a number I can cross reference. Sitting on an Island in the Atlantic its critical I get the part right first time as shipping back parts gets expensive!

Also the part numbers for the AGX's would be awesome too...

Thanks in advance....

gvr4ever

Looks like in the US, they have 1 part# for the whole kit, all four corners. PART# H&R 52974

As for the AGX,s they are for a 90,94 AWD DSM.

If you go this route, I recommend keeping the adjustment on the soft side to stay road compliant. Also, note that AGX doesn't warranty shocks that aren't on stock springs, and the lowering springs do seem to take some life out of them. From reading DSM forums over the years, I kind of got the impression that people tried to use the setup for racing. So they likely took a lot abuse. I don't have enough miles on mine to have an opinion on reliability yet.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
AGX part numbers:

Front 734005
rear 741014

gvr4ever

When I installed mine, I also used new top hat mounts and bump stops all around. Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but nothing was worn and I didn't have play in anything. I felt it just modernized the ride and got rid of that 4x4 90s ride.

Also using 205-55-15" tires on factory wheels. I could see having over sized plus sized wheels with little side wall, and having the AGXs on the hard side completely changing and or ruining the ride.

So, go all out and don't skimp on anything worn.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

I used the AGX shocks with DSM 1G springs. It lowered the car a bit over 1". I have the shocks set in the middle and I like the ride.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts