The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuner refused to use DSMLink v3?

yubh8tn

I get DSM's are old, but a very popular tuner in my area told me that he finds DSMLink "too limited and archaic" and told me if I got a high quality ecm like "Link" that he'd be happy to help. Is DSMLink limited? Did I waste $600 on this when I should have gotten a standalone? I can find another tuner but I heard really great things about this guy and was pretty excited to work with him. Is there merit behind him calling it limited and archaic?

yubh8tn

Ok I did some calling around and other tuners in the area were less rude about it and gave me some better explanations. Essentially they didn't wanna deal with compatibility mode.

Appointment set at English Racing in Portland at the end of March /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

ApexHunter

You won't regret it. English is tough to beat. I'm no expert on ECM Link but that is some BS. It meets and often exceeds the needs of most in my experience.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I'm a complete noob myself but I've been lucky enough to get some cars running and driving better on a couple different tuning softwares and the big hurdle is learning a new interface. The fundamentals are exactly the same but my first time going from ECMLink to TunerStudio was a lot. Then adding HPtuners on top of that. There seems so be a lot of tuners that know 1,2,3, etc softwares and that's all they want to deal with.

yubh8tn

Yeah the not wanting to learn new softwares thing makes sense. It kinda sucks I have to take the car 400 miles away but for it to be tuned by people who know what they're doing and are experienced with DSMLink it's worth it. Plus I get to practice trailering my car around which I'm sure is a skill I'll need to have... lol

Jesus_Negros

The amount of people who uses ECMlink has decreased so much in the last 10 years, it just isnt lucrative enough to learn as a tuner when you might not have any customers who need it. And it is limited compared to modern standalones. I learned to use ECMlink a long time ago. And I've recently learned other software and I'd honestly would prefer MS or something instead. I am by no means a tuner at all. I just like to DIY and like techy things, I do robotic process automation and machine learning for a living.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts