The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electrical help on a 92 galant, lighting problems, wiring diagrams needed

Pushinink

Ok so I bought a beater car that has some gremlins. The stuff that doesnt work: parking lights, dash lights, tail lights, 1 brake light, turn signals. The stuff that does work: 1 brake light, hazards, headlights (stay on all the time?) I have done some testing and replacing parts already. All fuses are good, first thing i checked. I searched already and many people have said tail lamp relay, light/turn signal switch, hazard switch, bulbs. I had a hell of a time replacing the turn signal switch, so instead I just replaced the entire steering column (with ignition and wiper sw) from a junkyard car. I also replaced the hazard switch and tail lamp relay all of which made no difference. I dont think its bad bulbs as they look good to the eye and hazards do work. I also can supply wire to the parking lights at the dimmer switch (green/white wire I think) and the parking lights/dash lights do come on. And I cant for the life of me figure out why the headlights stay on constantly (have them unplugged for now and only drive in the daytime) Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there some type of relay or control unit that controls these that could have gone bad? Is there a headlight relay or body electical relay somewhere, if so where at? Its just a base model so no anti theft device. I also have my hands on a complete 91 talon parts car so part swapping is easy.

Pushinink

I see the diagram, but where is the headlight relay and other components located? only relay in the engine fuse box is tail lamp relay and it test fine. I can send 12v to the green/white parking light wire and they come on, they just dont come on with the switch

AllanL

click to enlarge the images...

A01X is the headlight relay in the relay box behind the battery...

troubleshooting...

Last edited:

Pushinink

UPDATE: so after many hours of testing and troubleshooting I think I may have found the root of my problem. At the steering column wire harness the wire to turn on the parking is purple and the headlights is light gray (steering column side) These are thin 20ga wires. The wires are not there on the car side of the wiring harness, just empty pins. I know, it doesnt make any sense to me either, how the hell did the lights ever work in the first place? I looked around the dash for some type of daytime running lights sensor but I havnt found anything. Now I can wire up a relay to the green/white wire on the dimmer switch to get me parking lights, but that doesnt give me headlights or turn signals. As ive stated earlier I have a complete 91 talon parts car and have swapped pretty much every relay, hazard switch, dimmer switch, steering column, checked fuses and havnt had any luck. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated, or if I figure it out I will post an update.

Sounds like what you are describing is someone removed switch to relay wiring for some reason. The reason may be that you have a shorted and melted harness somewhere, so look around for that by visual inspection and checking wiring circuits with an ohm meter.

Pushinink

Found the problem, galant steering column/switch wiring is NOT the same as a 1g dsm. Everything will plug in but a lot of the pin outs are different. Could also possibly be this galant is a base model(4g63 sohc 8 valve), not a vr4. no fog lights, or factory anti theft. Far less wires on the base model vs the vr4 at the headlight switch connector.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Give our VIN to iceman, or use it online to determine what build your car has.

From what you describe, you may not have a VR4.

Is the car FWD or AWD? That would be the biggest determining factor right there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts