The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad idle

James

Bad idle started after I did my timing belt and friends. Idles like I have some nasty cams installed. I checked for boost leaks and didn't find any. I checked my timing and with the cams line up the crank is spot on. Hooked up the timing gun and got it to 5 degrees the best I could. With it being really bouncy it was hard to tell. I'm not sure what else to check. FIAV is blocked off. TPS is in spec and the ISC is good. Vac bounces between -8 and -12 at idle. Winding down in gear it's about -22. Boosts just fine at 20psi'ish.

If I blip the gas at idle the vac will drop to -17ish and come back to -8ish. Idle alternates around 700-900

Last edited:

turbowop

When you remove the timing belt, the exhaust cam will retard a couple degrees due to spring pressure on the valves/camlobes. When reinstalling it, you have to make sure that the exhaust cam is advanced back into place. It's a very common issue for those first doing timing belts on these cars, and can create the exact issues you're describing. Are you absolutely sure that the cams are lined up correctly? Unless you're really seasoned at timing belt installs and what the sprockets look like when the belt is correctly timed, it's hard to spot.

James

We actually had the tool to keep the cams in line when releasing the tension. They were lined up dead even (the marks) when we took
It off and lined up dead even when we put it bac on.

James

Don't get me wrong I 100% think its something timing related. I just don't see what it is when everything is lining up.

James

Something new. Out for a drive now and I put it in neutral. Idle goes down to 1.1k And bounces up to 1300 a few times before settling down to 900ish with the same symptoms as originally posted

Also seems the rpms are hanging between shifts

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

I would go back and make sure the crank and cam marks line up. If they do I would verify your ignition timing.

James

That's what I did yesterday prior to making this thread :/ but ill do it again tomorrow to triple check.

rgeier11

With a timing light.

Make sure the dowel pins are in the correct location on the cam gear while #1 is at TDC.

James

Exhaust cam is Indeed off. Not sure how with how we had it set in place

James

Wow I'll take my lashings guys.

What actually happened is the timing was 180 degrees off.

James

It might have only been a tooth off the first time we did it weeks ago. When vi put it back together today I noticed everything still wasn't line up perfect. Turns out the dowel pins were facing south instead of north. After that correction it all lined up as it should. Idles perfect now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned