The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Small vs Evo3

Lancer99

Turbos that is. I know I've talked about this before but still looking for a turbo that can get me to 400h.p., well any where from 375 to 400 range. I currently have a small 16g and I've seen someone run I think 375h.p. on one before. So anyone know what kind of other turbo that would get me there? I'll be using using the VR-4 at times a daily, going to the track (road racing) and a summer cruiser.

cheekychimp

Well the EVO III spools fractionally slower and flows more, so yes if you want to go for 400 hp you'll stand a better chance with that over the Small 16G. That said whilst people have made 400 hp on an EVO III and over 350 hp on the Small 16G, it is neither the norm, nor easy and I'm not sure you could expect a normal life span out of the turbo if you intend to push it that hard.

Another thing to think about is that these turbos used to be cheap and a great bang for your buck. That is rarely the case anymore. I am also sure if Mitsubishi hadn't changed the engine orientation in the EVO IV that we would ALL be rocking late EVO twin scroll turbos by now.

If you want things simple then go for either of the above turbos aim for a little less horsepower (say 300-350 hp) and enjoy the car for what it is. If you really desire more power then why not consider getting some fab work done to allow you to use late model EVO turbos on the car? Yes it may cost you for a custom manifold and downpipe but the upside is that after that, stock EVO 8 and 9 turbos can be found for cheap far easier than EVO III ones, they are also twin scroll and I would argue can make more power.

I'm still exhausting my supply of standard configuration turbos but I do believe that within the next five years or so, the supply of these turbos is going to dry up and the price of the remaining ones will make it very uneconomical to stick with the 16G standard configuration setup. I truly believe the way forward is to drop some coin on a decent quality manifold and downpipe and start stockpiling a few newer generation 16G turbos whilst they are easy to obtain.

Last edited:

TomN

I agree with above.
The E316g was once a great bang for the buck. Not so anymore.
I made over 400hp on one. But there's several things involved in that I never talked about. One was how often they went bad from running open vacuum at the waste gate as well as washers to help keep it closed. Most people will not make well into 400hp on one cause they aren't willing to do some of the stuff needed to achieve this.
I would look at a FP green.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned