GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » Small vs Evo3
Previous thread Next thread

Small vs Evo3

Lancer99
$6500 obo
902/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1081657 posted 08/19/12 11:52 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Turbos that is. I know I've talked about this before but still looking for a turbo that can get me to 400h.p., well any where from 375 to 400 range. I currently have a small 16g and I've seen someone run I think 375h.p. on one before. So anyone know what kind of other turbo that would get me there? I'll be using using the VR-4 at times a daily, going to the track (road racing) and a summer cruiser.

When the clutch drops...
The bullsh*t stops!
902/1000
Still working on it after 5 years
97 Volvo 850 Estate

Posts: 1284 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Member Since: 08/23/04 | IP: (98.227.36.33) | Report this post to a Moderator

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1081754 posted 08/20/12 10:41 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well the EVO III spools fractionally slower and flows more, so yes if you want to go for 400 hp you'll stand a better chance with that over the Small 16G. That said whilst people have made 400 hp on an EVO III and over 350 hp on the Small 16G, it is neither the norm, nor easy and I'm not sure you could expect a normal life span out of the turbo if you intend to push it that hard.

Another thing to think about is that these turbos used to be cheap and a great bang for your buck. That is rarely the case anymore. I am also sure if Mitsubishi hadn't changed the engine orientation in the EVO IV that we would ALL be rocking late EVO twin scroll turbos by now.

If you want things simple then go for either of the above turbos aim for a little less horsepower (say 300-350 hp) and enjoy the car for what it is. If you really desire more power then why not consider getting some fab work done to allow you to use late model EVO turbos on the car? Yes it may cost you for a custom manifold and downpipe but the upside is that after that, stock EVO 8 and 9 turbos can be found for cheap far easier than EVO III ones, they are also twin scroll and I would argue can make more power.

I'm still exhausting my supply of standard configuration turbos but I do believe that within the next five years or so, the supply of these turbos is going to dry up and the price of the remaining ones will make it very uneconomical to stick with the 16G standard configuration setup. I truly believe the way forward is to drop some coin on a decent quality manifold and downpipe and start stockpiling a few newer generation 16G turbos whilst they are easy to obtain.

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Edited by cheekychimp (08/22/12 10:22 AM)

Posts: 7333 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (118.141.68.193) | Report this post to a Moderator

TomN
ReNoonen

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1081834 posted 08/20/12 07:00 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
I agree with above.
The E316g was once a great bang for the buck. Not so anymore.
I made over 400hp on one. But there's several things involved in that I never talked about. One was how often they went bad from running open vacuum at the waste gate as well as washers to help keep it closed. Most people will not make well into 400hp on one cause they aren't willing to do some of the stuff needed to achieve this.
I would look at a FP green.

Tom N
94 EVO I ( no times yet )

91 Galant VR-4
11.497 @ 119.55 (16g power)

Posts: 207 | From: North Port, Fl | Member Since: 11/21/11 | IP: (70.88.58.98) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1438

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.061 seconds in which 0.047 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page