The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAF hole repair?

deusamo

So I just bought an intake and 2g MAF. The guy I bought them from just tossed them in a box and sent them out. Apparently in transit one of the vacuum fittings on the intake punched a dime sized hole in the maf. Any ideas on fixing it? It obviously doesn't have to hold pressure, just has to not leak air. I was thinking maybe getting some abs plastic and molding it and melting it to it. I've seen it done with car audio stuff, but I've never done it myself. Thoughts?

rdomeck

My thought would be to get your money back from the shipper! If that doesn't work I would not put anything in to fill the hole that can and will be pulled into the intake. I would use a thin aluminum strip of metal held in with some epoxy or good adhesive!

Try the guy you purchased it from first......

deusamo

Yeah, it took forever for him to ship it in the first place. And he doesn't answer pms at all. I'm fine with not battling him. It'd be different if he shipped it broken. This was just a mistake.

I'm not intending on putting anything in the hole (there's a joke waiting there, I'm sure). I figure I could just cut some abs plastic to 2"x2", heat it so it bends to the contour of the MAF, then use some chemical weld to hold it in place. It seems like it should work. I can't think of any issues. I just didn't know if anyone else had a similar issue, or a different solution.

ktmrider

I'd try to get it matched inside as well as possible, being that close to the electrical element could cause turbulence and/or flow variance which will make tuning a biotch.

Terry Posten

Use a piece off duct tape stuck to the inside, then use JBWeld and fill the hole from the outside leaving plenty of overlap to really give it something to hold on to. Let cure and remove tape. Sand smooth on the inside to contour the round inside diameter. Leave the outside overlapped to give more strength.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^^^^ That is a seriously good technique. No chance of getting sucked in when you put on enough overlap on the outside.

89Mirageman

I have a ton of these things out in the shop. Honestly I would just grab another one to be safe. Not trying to make a sale here, just wouldn't want my engine to fail from ingesting a tiny bit of plastic/jb weld. Probably won't happen but then again it could. PM me if you want one, I'll hook you up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned