The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Base timing

Hondakiller

Ok I know what I need to do for getting base timing. Iv been reading. Now I have a timing light that is adjustable for degrees advanced. The question is if I set the timing light to 5 degrees do I line the notch to the T or to the 5 degree mark on the timin cover?

Thanks
Matt

mikus

Not sure what the T is, assuming that's "zero" on the case.

I'd avoid setting timing on teh light at all and just use the "5" on the case. The angle is for sh*t trying to hit the "5" straightline, hitting "zero" would be even worse.

jepherz

Staff member
T="Top" I suppose?

Yes, I've never personally used a timing light with that feature, but that is the idea. You could easily verify by setting it both to 5* and 0* and it should show timing at "T" and 5 on the timing cover.

Hondakiller

Ok thx that's what I was thanking. One more things I thank my timing is 180 off. Do you know roughly where the CAS bolt closes to the Thermostat should be about half way rite. If so I'm 180 out.

beaner

Hmm. You loosen those bolts on the CAS and clock it to adjust the ignition timing while using yer gun. click

If you pull the CAS off the head and give it half a turn, you'll have to swap wires 1&4 with 2&3 at the coil pack. If the engine is running good I wouldn't bother.

Specter

Quoting mikus:
Not sure what the T is, assuming that's "zero" on the case.

I'd avoid setting timing on teh light at all and just use the "5" on the case. The angle is for sh*t trying to hit the "5" straightline, hitting "zero" would be even worse.

So the base timing is supposed to be set at 5 on the case? I think i set mine at T rather than 5.

Hondakiller

Well it depends on the timing light. If you have a adjustable one. Set the timing light to 5 degrees and you will line the notch to the T- top dead on the case. If your light is not adjustable line the notch up to 5 degree mark on case. You can do the same with the adjustable light set at 0 degree.

jepherz

Staff member
I hope you are all grounding out the test connector when you are setting the timing as well...

Galantvr41062

And if your timing mark is jumping around a lot try using the #4 plug wire.

Last edited:

Hondakiller

Yeah I ground the plug to do the timing. I'm going to mess with it today. I should be getting my new chip. See iv already timed it at 5 degrees advanced but the CAS it's like all the way back on the bolt slot. If you where to look at yours. It would be like if you turned it all the way to the left and turned it back to less than a quarter inch from the bolt to the end of the slot. And I'm Pretty sure I'm at TDC on the compression stroke. I used a compression test to know. But is there another way I could do this?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned