The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Rear Wing

Lukefraizer

I have looked for a couple hours now and I cant find anywhere where the specs of an Evo 3 vs an Evo 8 wing are. I know the 3 will fit but I'm not sure if the 8 will as well as what kind of numbers in downforce they produce? That may be too much to ask but I would really like to know. If no one knows I may just have to do some tests!

Brunoboy

ive seen the viii wing on our cars. check the members rides section.
-Shane

GSX_TC

the EVo 8 fits fine man, here is a VR4 with a 8 wing and a EVO 2 and 3 wing

photo-10.jpg

evo2-1.jpg

Evo-2.jpg

evo2-.jpg

Evo3-1.jpg

GSX_TC

here's two more pics of an 8 wing on a Galant

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

throughfaith323

these spoilers are not that functional until significantly higher speeds; 60mph or greater; I'd venture to say maybe even 80mph or greater (didn't run through the calculations so I cannot say for sure.

Anyway lift force increases as velocity squared (V^2). That being said, The force of lift seen by the added spoiler increases exponentially with speed. As you go faster and faster your lift gets greater and greater, faster and faster with every increase in mph.

I really wish I had some real data to back this up, but if you want, maybe someone here can draw the shape of the evo wing's airfoil and we can find an airfoil online that is a close representation of it to get the lift coefficient of it. Then we can get the angle of attack and plot some points to have some graphical representation of these wings.

Last edited:

throughfaith323

No clue if we'll find what we are looking for here, nor will it be easy to find it here, but worth a shot if someone really wants to figure this out.

click

Lukefraizer

Quoting throughfaith323:
these spoilers are not that functional until significantly higher speeds; 60mph or greater; I'd venture to say maybe even 80mph or greater (didn't run through the calculations so I cannot say for sure.

Anyway lift force increases as velocity squared (V^2). That being said, The force of lift seen by the added spoiler increases exponentially with speed. As you go faster and faster your lift gets greater and greater, faster and faster with every increase in mph.

I really wish I had some real data to back this up, but if you want, maybe someone here can draw the shape of the evo wing's airfoil and we can find an airfoil online that is a close representation of it to get the lift coefficient of it. Then we can get the angle of attack and plot some points to have some graphical representation of these wings.

That is exactly what I wanted to know! I may just go pick one up and test it compared to the evo 3 wing that my buddie has, I'll try and keep this post alive and than compare it to the stock wing! Its worth a go at least....

throughfaith323

What do you mean by test it? Install it and go for a drive? If so, how will you measure its output? Sure you may be able to feel the added downforce when comparing no wing to wing (at really high speeds) but I don't think you will be able to compare 2 different wings with much success.

What are your goals as far as racing and your vr4? If you are going for:
-looks (and like the way these look) and slight functionality....I would just pick the one I like best.
-If you are going for the best performance/appearance....then its worth running through the calculations.

thecman02

For testing. You can get a track day or some other closed place where you can get to the speeds you will be racing at. Stick the wing on and measure the sag of the rear of the car compared to the sag stationary. Multiply the displacement times the spring constant of your rear springs. That will give you a KN/or lbf of force. To measure the displacement you'll have to have someone get a picture of your car at speed from the side. There might be another clever way of seeing how much the rear of your car is sagging but I'm too drunk to think of anything clever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

edit.... take a picture at speed without a wing for reference. Then bolt on one.

I think on the evo 9 with the wing and vortex generators at 120 was 300ish lbf? I don't remember for sure though because it was in a magazine article a long time ago.

If you are primarily interested in these numbers for purposes of faster lap times, why don't you get lap times with each wing on and compare them?

SouthCaliVR4

There is only one way to do this with any accuracy, mount pressure sensors. Honestly given the lack of aerodynamics on the vr4 pick any wing you want, it'll make no difference in "down-force". even the evo8 wing is going to sit too low & be in a turbulent air zone.

Sorry but there is no real justification for putting one of these on but aesthetics.

turbowop

There isn't even justification for installing one of these horrid wings in the name of aesthetics. The f*** are you people thinking? Those wings are as useless as tits on a boar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

thecman02

If you need a wing because your sh*t is getting lose at high speeds just go order a ginormous and tall adjustable wing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif click /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Lukefraizer

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
There is only one way to do this with any accuracy, mount pressure sensors. Honestly given the lack of aerodynamics on the vr4 pick any wing you want, it'll make no difference in "down-force". even the evo8 wing is going to sit too low & be in a turbulent air zone.

Sorry but there is no real justification for putting one of these on but aesthetics.

Where can I find said pressure sensors. I was planning on testing the wings by themselves off the car in a wind tunnel type situation. Since I dont have an actual wind tunnel I have been making one that would fit the wings in it. Also there are calculations with drag and other things of that sort that will give you actual down force in numbers. I am not really worried what it looks like to tell you the truth but it does matter how it performs,

downforce is subject to many variables, with huge differences as a result of those variables. temperature, drag coefficient, humidity, air density, wind speed and direction. The evo 8 spoiler is well within the thresh-hold to develop a noticeable difference in downforce due to its high profile and wing depth. Creating a decent pressure differential

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts