The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Downpipe Flex Section Leaking?

Is it posible for the flex section of the downpipe to leak?

I have an inspection due and decided take a close listen to my exhaust. I could hear something under the car. Looked closely and concluded it is coming from the flex section. (Car was up - exhaust cold and I could get real close)

Couldn't tell if it was actually leaking or that I could just hear the exhaust thru the flex section. (For all I know it may have sounded like this for the past 6 years with no issues - it's just that I got down to listen...)

Do flex sections ever leak.

PS I have a 3" SS Busher exhaust.

You can tear them if somehow your motor rocks backwards from crappy motor mounts or worn ones. Also if you bottomed it out you would see the outter mesh torn and can also put a hole into the inner section of the flex pipe ie "accordin pipe" is what i like to call it. You would have to put it on ramps and get under and run your hands around the flex section to feel for leaks if there are no visable rips or tears. Flex pipe leaks also sometimes make a very reconizable sound. But personal experience i have riped a few.

I had the flex section on my Buschur exhaust replaced for about $100 at a local exhaust shop.You can also buy the flex joint and do it yourself-but the length may be different the the original,so you might have to add or subtract to the remaining pipe.

CP

How is that going to affect your passing state inspection Steve?

RayH

I found with my flex section that even though the mesh may be stainless steel, the solid sections weren't and rusted through.

I know when I was in Mass I got rejected for an exhaust leak.
So far in NH they have been good - but my regular place has changed hands and I am going to a new place.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned