The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

drivetrain fluids question

fastasleep

Do I want to use BG Sincroshift (going in the trans) in the T-case also, or Redline 75W90 (going in the rear diff)?

This VFAQ says to use the same Redline MT90 that's left over from the trans, in your t-case.

However, on RRE's site, they say to use the Redline 75W90 in both the differential and t-case, and only use the Sincroshift in the trans.

or does it not matter...

I'm using a Redline MT90/MTL mix in the trans, MT90 in the xfer case, and 75/90 in the rear. So far it's working real good.

MTL, MT90, syncroshift, etc are all TRANSMISSION FLUIDS. They belong in the transmission only. While they might meet the specs for the transfer case, and people do run them there, they are not being used for their intended purpose. They will work, but a GEAR OIL belongs in the transfer case and rear diff.

slugsgomoo

i would use lightweight shockproof in the t-case or rear end. If you are making a ton of power and launching the car at the track a lot, heavyweight probably makes sense.

I run 1/1/1 MTL/MT90/Lightweight in my gearbox, and lightweight in the diff & tcase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fastasleep

So, RRE is correct.

Therefore, I need:

2.4 quarts of BG Syncroshift for the trans
0.5 quarts of Redline 75W90 for the t-case
0.9 quarts of Redline 75W90 for the diff

That would be my recommendation (RRE's spec.) It turns out Redline Australia rec's MT90 for the transfer case, but in reality it has an add-pack designed for a transmission so IMO the 75W-90 is a better fit.

GL5's are a big no-no in the transmission even though the factory spec is GL4 of higher for the transmission/transfer case. My guess is that Redline AU just applied the same logic to the transfer case and thus recommended MT90 since it is a GL4 rated lube (the 75W-90 is a GL-5.) However the GL5 will be just fine in the transfer case due to the lack of brass componants.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
i would run redline front to back with a 50/50 split of mtl & mt90 in the tranny. especially for a daily driver. do a search on redline, this has been argued about for years......

speedyvr4

I got chevron gl4 80w-90 in the tranny,t- case, and rear diff. It's what they got at my job so... My car is DD and probably will never see a track so it'll do for me. i would love to put redline in the rear and syncroshift but I got lots morestuff to fix before I worry about that

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts