†††GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Wiring harness question
Previous thread Next thread

Wiring harness question

yeti
Nope still sticky fingers

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1249686 posted 09/11/20 08:53 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So I looked up a 1g ecu pinout with colors ( attached ) and a good amount of my wires are different colors or lacking pins/stripes.

On another note thereís a - green wire/white pin stripe / red dash -
WIRE just hanging not connected to ecu at all, the pin out says this should be my idle switch or tps sensor, two things that would cause my idle to surge.

So I checked the pin location and there are wires there still plugged in, also a different color that indicates on the pin out.

But the idle switch and tps sensor wires have been molested, still seem to be connected and working ( visual )

Last but not least my knock sensor is consisting of 3 different wires being spliced into one ecu pin. TWO large brown With white pin stripe , and one small black with red dashs wire. ALL going into the original stock white knock sensor wire.

What to do? Where to start?

How can I check if my knock sensor is working properly? ( I have it set to boost gauge on Link and it flashed every now and then on my shitty tune )

How can I check if my tps or idle switch are working properly? The guy who tuned my car was mentioning the isc or tps something was not responding to adjustments on Dsm link.

My bad for all the questions is such a short amount of time, any help is greatly appreciated , also attached is the ecu pin out I followed

~turbohair~

Edited by yeti (09/11/20 08:58 AM)

Posts: 737 | From: san diego california | Member Since: 10/13/10 | IP: (2600:1700:5020:1) | Report this post to a Moderator

idreamidrive
Member +
394/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1249699 posted 09/12/20 06:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Where do you start? Go here and download the service manual with the wiring portion in it.

click

Posts: 417 | From: Murray, KY | Member Since: 10/10/12 | IP: (63.150.211.69) | Report this post to a Moderator

yeti
Nope still sticky fingers

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1249737 posted 09/18/20 02:42 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
From what I can see half of that manual is missing, is the way to fix this issue to physically trace where each wire is going? And or run new wire from the sensor on the harness or where itís broken to the ecu.

The fact the colors are different is that just a thing from car to car? What 3 wires combined could be give me my knock sensor reading? As thatís working, I think, itís been tuned on this knock sensor system multiple times.

Just a bit overwhelmed. Gonna try to fiav and isc delete and hopefully the idle surge goes away but at this point I doubt it.

~turbohair~

Posts: 737 | From: san diego california | Member Since: 10/13/10 | IP: (67.36.2.68) | Report this post to a Moderator

CutlassJim
poop load of room
1799/2000
1788/2000
935/1000
912/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1249738 posted 09/18/20 06:49 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
A lot to unpack here.

I prefer to use the diagram from ECMlink

PAH!

The wire hanging out in no man's land seems to be coming from the engine side of the harness and you say the TPS and idle switch seem to be intact at the ECU and judging by your photo's I agree. The green/white as the idle switch was only for the 90 model year. Should be straight green for 91+ and it appears to be hooked up via the ECMLink diagram and your photos. Looks like it may be the MAF reset. No idea why that would be cut but grab a meter and check if that's it. Are you running a MAF?

The large brown/white isn't a "wire" by itself. It's a shielded wire or twisted pair. The outer braids are tied together and grounded via the black wire to shield the internal signal wire from noise. These will be your knock and O2 signals as they are very important and susceptible to EMI.

Looks like your knock sensor wire has the tap on it and the O2 wire is cut completely. No bueno. You probably get CRAP gas mileage. Hook that back up ASAP.

You mention ECMLink. If you have it get a laptop and log IMMEDIATELY. Unclick everything so it's not so cluttered and just look at "Idle Sw", "ClosedLoop", "FrontO2", "ISCPosition", "ThrotPos"

At idle you want the idle switch and closed loop to be 1 with your front Os (Usually blue) cycling up and down with your ISC position cycling around 30 and throttle position at %0

Any of the above being off will cause the car to not idle correctly.

I would do all this before the block off.

ALL DSM's are advanced and ALL Evo's retarded
I love my crazy mother!!!

Edited by CutlassJim (09/18/20 06:54 AM)

Posts: 1624 | From: Manchester, NH | Member Since: 07/17/06 | IP: (173.14.186.153) | Report this post to a Moderator

CutlassJim
poop load of room
1799/2000
1788/2000
935/1000
912/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1249739 posted 09/18/20 06:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Here is a log of a man with a dead front O2 (the blue line) and his ISC position is too high.

But he is still in closed loop and his TPS and idle swtich are working correctly

ALL DSM's are advanced and ALL Evo's retarded
I love my crazy mother!!!

Posts: 1624 | From: Manchester, NH | Member Since: 07/17/06 | IP: (173.14.186.153) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 203

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.177 seconds in which 0.156 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page