The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trying to squeeze an S362 in

littleb

So as the title says, I'm trying to make an s362 fit. I'm having trouble even getting it to fit on to the engine itself. I have a JMFab top mount manifold and the turbo is hitting the head. I already ground down the parting like on the turbine housing and it's still hitting. So my plan was to get a spacer that was maybe 5-7mm but all I can find are exhaust manifold flanges that are about 1/2" thick. There already isn't going to be much room in the engine bay before having to put a spacer but there is absolutely no way that I can keep my stock radiator with a spacer. So what is your guys favorite radiator and fans? The two radiators I'm looking at are 1g and scirocco. Obviously the 1g would be the cheaper route to go but is the scirocco radiator that much better? I don't know if I'll be able to use pull fans either so I may need to use pushers. Any recommendations on that? Thanks

diambo4life

You may be better off selling the manifold and getting something that will better fit your setup. Can you take some photos of your working space with the manifold/turbine housing bolted on? Really helps visualizing what you're trying to do.

littleb

Gonna be honest I have too much money in this manifold to get rid of it. I found a 3/8" exhaust flange that should free up enough room to run the turbo and a turbo blanket and then with a 1g radiator and pusher fans I should have enough room. I don't have the engine with the car right now so I can't get any pictures of actual fitment in the car.

slugsgomoo

I think the problem is that the JMF manifold was built around the idea that the biggest turbo it would hang would be a 35R...

I'm running the HKS manifold and there's enough room to just barely clear the lower motor mount with my T67. Unfortunately I can't go any bigger without a different manifold, or moving that mount, so I feel your pain there.

littleb

I remember when I originally bought the manifold I emailed them and asked if it would fit an S362 and they said that it would. I'm about 99% sure it will fit with a 1g radiator and the additional flange. I'm not particularly fond of having another gasket on there but it should be fine.

thomcasey

You can always run an 88 VW Scirocco radiator, will give you tons of room.

littleb

I looked at both the scirocco and 1g and I think I'm gonna go with the 1g radiator since it's a bit larger dimensionally but still fits inside the crossmember

diambo4life

It's a hard decision but trust me on this. You really don't want to modify your car to fit one replaceable part because you spent money to buy it. The part should be correctly matched to fit the vehicle. I can tell you right now your decision to run the 1G radiator may not be a wise one when you already have space constraints. You will end up doing hacking here and there to make your "investment" work and it will frustrate you and you will waste money and time. If you have an engine stand preferable with a block and head, mount stuff up and start measuring, everywhere, so you don't waste time trying to modify something that may not work in the long run. It will also save you time and money. Borgs have bigger footprints than PTEs so when you shim something to move it into x direction, are you paying attention to what is happening to your spacing in the y and z directions? Just my opinion.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

littleb

I don't really think anything needs to be hacked up to fit a 1g radiator? You just need to make new top mounts from everything that I've read and seen. And after that pretty much the entire front of the engine bay is open. The only downside is you need to delete a/c which I already don't have and wasn't planning on putting on so I don't really see an issue with putting an aftermarket radiator in. Unless you know something that I don't.

thomcasey

You might want to recheck your measurements. The Scirocco radiator fits in the core of the Galant and 1g DSM. The 1G radiator is only 4.4" shorter (18.5" vs 22.9") than the Galant radiator (the 1G radiator is mounted at an angle in the 1g, so it looks much shorter) whereas the Scirocco radiator is just over 12" high. I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the core support, otherwise it would be a common swap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts