GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Cabin noise/rattle
Previous thread Next thread

Cabin noise/rattle

Xevaus

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244301 posted 10/15/18 12:39 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1991 GVR4 Monte Carlo. I went to have a look at it over the weekend, looks great and runs fine. It has about 260,000KM on the chassis (roughly 160,000 miles). My only issue is the cabin is incredibly noisy, has lots of rattles/squeeks. I suppose given it's age this is to be expected, however i was wondering if this is a common issue with GVR4's? Is it possible to fix or would it just be something i'd have to live with?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | From: Brisbane, QLD | Member Since: 10/15/18 | IP: (203.18.34.5) | Report this post to a Moderator

iceman69510 Galant VR4.org Moderator
Turn Right Racing
855/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244302 posted 10/15/18 12:45 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Certainly noises can be addressed, just have to find the root causes. There are lots of modern noise reduction tapes and foams available.

I don't think GVR4s have this problem normally. I have not had huge issues with any of my three. Did have a small tick in the driver b-pillar of my 92 I could never find.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-SOLD
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Posts: 10589 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (205.144.100.200) | Report this post to a Moderator

AllanL
Heal and Toe

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244307 posted 10/15/18 11:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
take it and fix it...

Posts: 243 | From: NV | Member Since: 08/05/08 | IP: (133.204.113.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

FlyingEagle Galant VR4.org Moderator
Eager Beaver

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244368 posted 10/19/18 07:00 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Stiff sidewall tire in combination with heavier and larger rims.
Non-OEM suspension along the lines of stiffer struts - like KYB AGX.
Loose and sagging door hinges and rubber cover missing from door striker as a result.
Plastic dash pieces missing screws to hold things in place.
Aging plastics creating that awful squeak nose when they break loose from a position of rest against another similar piece.

As stated above, there are tapes by 3M for squeak reduction and even some of the push pins can be loaded with squeak reduction tape as they are inserted to tighten things back up.

If someone has been in there removing things, you simply have to check if they are tight, require a re-alignment or if you have wind noise from window felts or rubber surrounds that need some
building up where they grab the metal seams, to make for more compression against the door surfaces/window glass.

Sometimes you have bent A pillars and or B pillars (the main culprit), allowing the top back of the door to stay slightly loose against the door jamb.
This can require putting your knee at the mid point of the door *inside mid point where the door card meets the latch mechanism - just above that - and pulling the top of the door/window frame back until you have moved
it back into a better and tighter fitting position. This is of course assuming your hinges are aligned and tight enough to be working properly.

Those are the biggest gremlins that affect all cars that I can think of, but hey if the mid body spot welds are all popped, someone went Dukes of Hazard and not much brings a car back after that ... forget I said that!

Go grab it and put some love into it, if the price is right and car is solid. Be prepared for work, if any major components have been neglected for any length of time.
I think I wrote a book on what to look for on a fellow members post here recently. Areas of concern, what to look out for.

Oh, and welcome aboard ... almost!

C53A 1 of the ~1500

Edited by FlyingEagle (10/19/18 07:02 PM)

Posts: 1581 | From: THE Ottawa | Member Since: 03/05/05 | IP: (135.23.119.144) | Report this post to a Moderator

brisvr4
Oceania Distict Enforcer for the Galant VR4 Mafia

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244373 posted 10/20/18 05:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Is this Mos car?
If so you will have nothing mechanical to do to it. He is pretty anal when it comes to upkeep on his cars!

Tim
1992 Auspec
11.37 @ 131.46 - E85 goodness and stock block!
Official Australian home of the Ugh decal!

Posts: 946 | From: brisbane australia | Member Since: 02/13/04 | IP: (49.197.192.117) | Report this post to a Moderator

Xevaus

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244382 posted 10/22/18 05:29 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
I believe it is. Yeah mechanically it looked great, i think it's just the interior showing it's age; don't think it's anything that can't be sorted though

Posts: 2 | From: Brisbane, QLD | Member Since: 10/15/18 | IP: (203.18.34.5) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 405

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.145 seconds in which 0.121 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page