The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hello again

yeti

Just wanted to say hello again ,
And that my gvr4 will hopefully be running in 15 days with the Help of this forum..

My car mainly just needs a oil pump and clutch slave. But I'll be putting new engine and slave. Hopefully.

I've been busy for the past year with prop. 215 work. I'm now planning to get back into mechanic work and fix my Galant up nice and right.

I'm looking for used pistons and rods as the only thing I need to assemble another block but I have a Q as well.

How important is align honing?

And my crank moves back and forth a little bit when I have it installed into the block, should I just get a gauge and check for endplay? Or is a little movement normal?

Also considering giving the local machine shop to assemble block this time but not sur

Vr4junkie

dude if you've never assembled an engine before and asking questions like this then you're better off paying someone that actually knows what they're doing just pay a little extra and have them assemble it for you trust me it'll be a whole lot cheaper and you'll have it done right the first time.

EHmotorsports

Vr4junkie now he's going to tell you he's coming your way to kick your ass because he can't take the honest truth;)

James

Hooray yeti is back lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jesus_Negros

I miss yeti!

Vr4junkie

Yeti hope I didnt come out sounding like a dick but dont let the VR4 be a guinea pig just pay someone to assemble and check everything for you I dont think it should be that expensive but thats just my opinion.

yeti

Well hello my good Sir's..
How have you all been.

I'm going to be either assembling another block with some of the parts from my last build,

As far as I can tell my last build went sour because of the oil pump I reused only creates under 20psi at idle, the motor runs great other than a small knock at idle from low pressure.( some people say they can't hear it, but there deaf)

That being said, I haven't driven the car in almost a year, and need it running by the 15th of sept. Because were moving.

I have 3 blocks 2 cranks , 2 heads a gasket set.

1 of the blocks has had the cylinders honed and the head has been checked out , the machine shop said the couldent resurface the head cause the valve was sticking past the surface (is this out of tolerance)
all

I have a used oil pump I bought from someone who says the owned a DSM shop and that the oil pump was good I checked the gears and there not grinding, but I'm probably going to buy a new OEM one.

Then again its been awhile since I've thought about everything thats included in a build but it needs to be done and it will , I will never get rid of this car.

I thought that since my baby would be running I would step in to say hello again.

turbowop

Are low mileage JDM import engines still available? I think your best bet would be one of those. Drop that f***er in and drive the car. Quit tinkering with questionable parts and trying to build something that you don't seem to really understand. You're just setting yourself up for more disaster, IMO.

ktmrider

Quoting turbowop:
Are low mileage JDM import engines still available? I think your best bet would be one of those. Drop that f***er in and drive the car. Quit tinkering with questionable parts and trying to build something that you don't seem to really understand. You're just setting yourself up for more disaster, IMO.

This times 1,000,000. Learn from your past mistakes, ie trying to go the cheapest route possible via interweb "experts".

prove_it

I miss the old low mileage jdm imports. I bought mine back in 02 and got one with a odometer picture and letter stating actual mileage of 22k. Pulled the VC and it looked brand new. Not even wear marks on the cams. Cost me 1400 shipped for engine, trans, and transfer case. You just can't get that anymore. Trans felt like new, even had clean fluid that seeped out when I looked.

Fish

Are you really going through all the trouble of pulling the motor just so you can put used parts back in it? A used oil pump is a terrible idea, it will never move enough oil to fill those big gaps you've got between your crank bearings.

Jesus_Negros

He likes making the same mistake twice. Its Yeti!

yeti

Turbowop that's what I was thinking about would I have to order it online or should I try sourcing a complete motor from a local import yard.

I've pulled complete motors from the yard here but its hit or miss if its a running motor.

But I agree 10000000000 times

Am I right to assume that k can get a complete running motor for 500?

Fish

The cheapest used motor I found online was about 1700 but I've never heard of the importer. All of the other ones I found were closer to the 2200 range. That was for everything though, I couldn't find just an engine. Good luck

mitsuturbo

Quoting Fish:
The cheapest used motor I found online was about 1700 but I've never heard of the importer. All of the other ones I found were closer to the 2200 range. That was for everything though, I couldn't find just an engine. Good luck

I'm 95% certain i could acquire all parts required for a full rebuild, take it to a machine shop, and have them do ALL the work, including final assembly, for about that $2200 price tag.

There's a company here that imports engines. You may be able to find something similar in your area.

click

Fish

Found this using the Google search. I know nothing about this company but I would recommend doing a lot of research on any of the import companies before you give them your money, check customer reviews, warranty policies, etc. Make sure you aren't going to get screwed over by these guys. Anyway, cheapest one I could find.

Click

holeshotmoe

And remember, "imported from japan" does not necessarily equal JDM. I've seen some who advertise 25k-45k miles but their fine print disclaims any guarantee the one you get falls into that range.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts