The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Won't start

Edited for clarification:

The engine is a 1g with a small 16g, wahlbro 255, 3in turbo back exhaust, medium sized front mount, un tuned GM maf and Maf-t
The car ran fine for all of the 400 miles I've put on it, just rich, wet black smoke coming out of the back. I went full throttle a few times and it went fine (boost guage showed 15psi max), I don't have a boost controller installed. I swapped the 450 injectors for evo 560s one day, the car still idled as it did with the 450s. I drove it for a hundred or so miles and got on it full throttle a couple times, it sh*t on itself and didn't really go. Not noticeably hesitating or bucking, just not moving fast. It would actually go faster if I applied less than half throttle.
It sat for two weeks waiting for a "friend" who is familiar with tuning this engine via maf-t to come and tune it.
It rained one day (I don't see how this matters, but I'll give you all the info I can) and I went to start it the next day and it didn't. Just kept cranking. I checked all the fuses and they were good, I figured it a good idea to change the plugs, so I did. I gapped ngk bpr7es to .030 and torqued them to 16.5ft/lbs.
Still didn't start, just cranked. I pulled a plug, hooked the wire to it and turned the motor over while my neighbor grounded it to the car, no spark.

That's about the time I came here. Since then I have changed the cam angle sensor to no avail. I have tried to start it and immediately pulled the plugs and haven't seen any sign of fuel on the plugs. My fuel pressure gauge has consistently registered. 37psi.

Please help me figure this out, I'm growing tired of taking the bike everywhere (80 miles to and from work each day, rain or shine!)

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Did you test all the plugs for spark, or just that one.

Barnes

So the ONLY thing you did was pull the old plugs, and put in new ones? What did you gap them to?

James

I would test the rest...

Quoting Barnes:
So the ONLY thing you did was pull the old plugs, and put in new ones? What did you gap them to?

I don't remember, but it was confirmed by a few.
It ran fine, just rich before it stopped running.

Barnes

Did you replace one plug at a time? I.E. remove the plug wire, change the plug, reattach the plug wire? Or did you take all the wires off, change the plugs, and put the wires back on? My guess is that you simply swapped the plug wires.

The likelihood that you did nothing other than change your plugs and the car went from running fine to nothing and it being ANYTHING else is basically zero.

Yao

check timming belt, make sure it didn't skipped a tooth, and trace the ignition coil wires, make sure there is no short.

Quoting Barnes:
Did you replace one plug at a time? I.E. remove the plug wire, change the plug, reattach the plug wire? Or did you take all the wires off, change the plugs, and put the wires back on? My guess is that you simply swapped the plug wires.

The likelihood that you did nothing other than change your plugs and the car went from running fine to nothing and it being ANYTHING else is basically zero.

I changed the plugs one at a time. After it wouldn't start.

I checked for spark at all the plugs, no spark.
I took off the ignition coil, but am unsure how to test it. Anyone know?

Barnes

If no spark plugs are firing it is unlikely that BOTH coils failed at the same time. Honestly I'm still confused how this even happened. There must be SOMETHING you did that you aren't think of. Have you tried putting the plugs you replaced back into the engine?

When you crank the engine over trying to start it, pull the plugs and see if they are wet/and or smell like gas. If you can determine if you aren't getting spark AND fuel, this helps greatly with the diagnosis.

I have the coil out now, looking for instructions how to test it/them.
I have a fuel pressure gauge before the rail that is reading 37psi. I also pulled the fuel line off the drivers side of the rail (to get easier access to pulling the coil) and fuel came out.
I can go put it back on if required...

I didn't do anything. one day it didn't start. All I know is that it rained the previous day. Shouldn't matter...

Barnes

You established if there is fuel going to the rail. That's a start. However I was trying to figure out if there is fuel coming out of your injectors. This is why I ask that you check your plugs for wetness/fuel smell after you try to start it.

mitsuturbo

If there's NO spark at all, and it only happened just after changing plugs, maybe a hand was rested on top of the CAS while pullng a plug and a wire's loose/broken on the CAS plug.

Allow me to clarify, sorry for the confusion. It didn't start one day, then I changed the spark plugs. As a start to remedy the non start issue.
I just put the coil back in cranked it for many seconds, stopped and again for many seconds. No start. Pulled the plugs and smell nothing. The pressure gauge still registers 37.
I did recently swap the 450s to EVO 560s that I had cleaned and tested, they flowed between 580 and 610.
I could swap back the the 450s?

Barnes

Start by setting us straight as to the sequence of events that lead up to this. Tell us the mods you did while it was still running, and ALL the things you tried to do to get it to run after it stopped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned