The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECM Link won't link with laptop

So I recently just got my car all back together and it runs ok, but could definately use a good tune. I installed the EM Link V3 chip and plugged the data cable in, hooked up my laptop and no connection or communication was found. I have the program installed on my laptop along with the supporting driver devices. Any help on why this is happening? I hope it's not a sliced wire somewhere.

gramkrakr89

Any specific error messages from the ECMLink app?

The first thing to make sure is that the V3 cable is being recognized by the laptop as an appropriate adapter.

Plug in your cable and check your COM ports in the device manager to see if it is being recognized properly. After the ECMlink application finds the cable, the rest should take care of itself. Proper configuration should solve your problem, but you can only configure a device if the computer sees it, recognizes it, and assigns it a port.

If the cable itself is not being recognized as a device, then it's probably bad... Thomas Dorris from ECMTuning was guiding me through a similar situation just the other day - new cables are $39 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try reinstalling drivers and make sure the cable is being recognized by the actual laptop first.

EMX5636

Depending on the laptop, I had to install the drivers with the cable un-plugged. Like gram said, it should say Serial Adapter Found when you plug it in if all the drivers are correct.

cheekychimp

IIRC in the previous version DSMLink it was necessary to reassign any port that DSMLink wanted to use that had been previously assigned. I think I freed up Port 0 or Port 1 and DSMLink then connected without issue.

Also I know USB cables are supposed to be less troublesome than serial adapters as well as being backwardly compatible but in my experience that hasn't always proven to be the case. Check if your laptop is USB 2.0 or 1.0. I have also seen laptops with both 1.0 and 2.0 ports so try plugging the cable into different ports to see if that changes anything. I have had issues in the past with printers and external floppy drives 'mating' themselves to particular ports and failing to register if connected to another port. I'm told it shouldn't happen, but it does!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned