The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my trunk is too small

so i am having a problem i am putting in 2 12" competition subs in a bandpass box but the box hits the torsion bars that open the trunk. so if i removed them i understand the trunk door would become heavy and not stay open. so i was thinking of putting in a pair of struts or an electric actuator but need ideas how to make it all work. kinda leaning towards struts because there small and can be mounted on both sides out of my way.

Terry Posten

So much for handling and performance with 200 pounds in the back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you leave the bars in, they will drive you nuts rattling from the bass. I had to wrap a shop rag around mine when I had twin 10" subs.

Send a note to bob dole and see if he has a solution.

gvr4ever

Take the junk out of that trunk! JK.

Ya, I lost a huge chunk of space with a single 10" in a sealed box. Gas tank + rear axle = small trunk. They should have just giving AAA cards with the car instead of attempting that joke of a spare tire and make the trunk bigger. Oddly enough though, I used the hand bolt for the spare tire to secure a cut 1/2" piece of MDF to secure the sub box and amp.

turbohf

Quoting Terry Posten:

If you leave the bars in, they will drive you nuts rattling from the bass. I had to wrap a shop rag around mine when I had twin 10" subs.

damnit, that must be the noise im hearing...and i have a fix for it too. we have noise/rattle foam at work.

THANKS! lol.

kama1

i have a 12 inch,having problems looking for the right fit for it.

Terry Posten

Quoting turbohf:
Quoting Terry Posten:

damnit, that must be the noise im hearing...and i have a fix for it too. we have noise/rattle foam at work.

THANKS! lol.

If you have ever rode in my car, you would know that my biggest complaint is rattles, squeaks, and groans. Any little noise gets diagnosed and fixed in some way. Just before I drove it to the storage garage it developed two new noises. My spring cleaning job will now start with removing the driver pilar trim and insulating that and pulling the dash and finding the rattle behind the glovebox.

SouthCaliVR4

^^^ before you dig into the dash, check the filler panel at the base of the windshield & the a/c lines if you still have it. where they pass through the firewall they can rattle against the bottom of the opening & the hard line running along the top of the firewall is also a prime source. A bit of inner tube between the fitting & the fire wall for the first & a split chunk o fuel line for the second.

finally got box to fit but i think i am not getting enough air flow. so my idea is to run the ports thru the metal behind the seats between the rear speakers. need thoughts and opinions.

SouthCaliVR4

There ain't much metal to worry about, two 3" beams & from there it's just the trunk liner & the sound deadener between you & the back of the seat.

My 2 12 inch alpine Type R subs fits fine in my trunk along with my alpine mrv1507 along with a my other big alpine 4 channel amp. You may have to have a custom box made if you cant find one that will fit under the bars like mine does. As long as the overall volume of the box is within the recommended specs of the sub manufacturer you should be okay. Get ready for rattles with 2 12" subs though have fun.........

i have all the raddeling taken care of because i took my 3 12s out because i wanted my trunk back.

also if u have subs post pics.

i was not sure if i should post this in the HOW TO forum, just because its not finished yet i need help finding struts that are stronger to lift the trunk. but anyways this is what i just vame up with 30min ago to open the ttunk since i took the rods out. let me know what you think.

it late and got bored again so i finished hooking up subs. now just waiting to get the alpine type R. sorry for crappy photo (stupid old IPhone 3g, curse you and your outdated tech)

i was thinking of throwing one of these in the trunk after i try to get it all fiberglassed. thoughts and opinions. had them laying around for a while so trying to put them to use. i had two more but they got shaddered when my brother inlaw got rear ended and slid off road and hit a guard rail in his old ranger.

i had them set up in basement. the room they are in is probly 20' x 40' and it lit up the whole room

citymunky

spngebob-yuck-face.png

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting agent23:

I think that rug will tie the whole trunk together

... do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SouthCaliVR4

no I totally agree, while not my taste that rug could really look good, if done right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts