The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant won't start

I was driving it last night, went to start it today and it turns over just no combustion...

The only problem I found myself having last night was it had trouble starting after it was already warmed up...but all it took was a little gas pedal action and I was running great.

Im wondering if maybe the fuel pump is shot, but I think that would have been gradual and given me some tell tale signs.

Or could it be the isc (idle function)

Just transferred over to the 3g maf w/ chip but like i said it "was" running great.
Plugs / wires are new
Maf is used off 2001 montero sport (low miles)doesnt do anything different when unplugged
Timing is on
Tank is full

Haven't done any testing yet as access to a shop is minimal...

What should I check first?

Any common problems that it most likely is off the top of your head?

THX for the help, let me know if you need more info

update: I can now here some sort of rattle when I try to start it...I dont have anyone else here to pipoint where the noise is coming from but I m guessing the starter is the culprit... and it makes sense considering that is pretty much the only thing I havent replaced lol

Diego

I'm not sure where the rattle would come from.. you should be able to hear the starter spin if it was going out.

Any PNW guys' willing to chime in?

SouthCaliVR4

check for spark & fuel pressure. If these are ok check compression & timing belt marks. If all that is good wire a twelve volt light to one of your injector plugs, a test light & a paper clip will work fine just don't whore out the connector. crank it over & check for the light to flash.

If your missing spark & injector pulse look for cas/wiring/ecu/main-relay. If you have all the above check if your plugs are fouled if yes, check the ect sensor on the data stream. it should read the same temp as intake air. if either reads -40 likely that sensor,connector or wires.

Or throw a set o plugs in & hold the pedal to the floor while cranking.

If your just missing spark there's a whole lot of different bits that can cause that.

no spark is the problem...either ICM or coil pack...

Which is more likely?

Also the noise was coming from the starter, it still is turning the engine over but is definitely on its way to being dead!

SouthCaliVR4

After checking the wiring, I'd start with an ignitor, I'd think if the coil pac you'd still get spark on two cylinders.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned