The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad Idle hunt

So I just got 1886 all back together after having a complete rebuild and she runs just fine. No doubt in the near future she will need a tune. However, when she idles she never stops idle hunting and the rpms never go less than 1300rpm. I think this might be the thremal valve on the vehicle. Any of you guys hear of similar issues and how to fix this problem?

Dark_Horse

1. Have you adjusted the BISS screw to see if you can bring the idle lower?
2. Is your IAC/ISC good? If it's the brown one, I'd suggest picking up a black one instead.

There are a couple of VFAQ's on idle surge.

click
click
click

If you have DSMlink, it's very easy to check to see what's going on with idle problems.

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

Quoting R34P3R62:
So I just got 1886 all back together after having a complete rebuild and she runs just fine. No doubt in the near future she will need a tune. However, when she idles she never stops idle hunting and the rpms never go less than 1300rpm. I think this might be the thremal valve on the vehicle. Any of you guys hear of similar issues and how to fix this problem?

It could be the FIAV if you have one... if so, this is a problem that needs adressed before you try to adjust anything.

Don't mess with the BISS just for fun, figure out what the problem is and then adjust the idle properly.

could your throttle be held open too much by the idle switch?

desant78

Do you have a way to log? Ensure all your sensors such as coolant temp are in the proper range and hooked up correctly. Also a boost leak test is in order if you changed any gaskets etc I had a similar problem, ended up.being a ton of things at once.

Pretty much what everyone said on here, boost leak was causing my weird idle. good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned