The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just got some evo X front struts

Whoodoo

I just got the Evo X front struts today. I did some measurements on them but don't know the stock dimensions yet, so I can't say whether they will fit or not. The lower holes are both 14mm and are 70mm apart. I'll hopefully get the stock measurements tonight and let everyone know how it works out.

ducttapeguy

It just so happens that you have a super sweet Galant VR4 right outside. How very convient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope your takin good care of my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

I've been working on making another short shifter, so I think tomorrow I'll go rent a spring compressor and see if we can get them on there. It looks to me like they will be about the same as the evo 8/9 bits. The holes should line up if my measurements are correct. We'll just have to see how high it sits.

I think it will be easier to get the springs to seat correctly as well because the coil doesn't stack on top of itself at the top.

As opposed to the 8/9 spring like this

Whoodoo

Im happy to inform you all that the front struts' bottom mount is just like the evo8/9 one. I haven't gotten my top mounts in yet so I haven't seen how high they will make the front ride, but due to everything else being about the same as the 8/9 I would guess they would require a coil to be cut.

I tried using the stock top mounts, but the spring compressor I rented from autozone is a POS and there aren't enough coils on the spring. Plus it was getting really cold outside and I didn't have any more patience to deal with it. Once my Ksport camber plates come in I'll try again and Tyler has offered his car to test it.

Stay tuned for pics in the coming weeks.

RedTwo

I assume they are the same as Evo 5/6 - check out H0STYL's car in lazy ass nz build thread, he had to drill new holes in the strut towers.

curtis

The evo 8/9 tops are made of alot more elastomeric material and a way better design with a 3 on 120 spreed compared to the 3 on 90 spread. I drilled mine out and went to the evo ones and could tell a hug difference in the way the car drove over the DSM ones I had. If I remember correctly the bolt center dia was the same just spaced different. Just requires 2 holes to be drill through about 3 layers of metal.

Whoodoo

Interesting. I won't be doing any drilling of my strut towers because I just spent some dough on galant specific camber plates from Ksport, so once those get here I'll put em on top of the evo X struts.

One thing of not is the design of the top of the coil and rubber isolator/spring perch of the evo X strut. I only have adjustable AGX's with H&R springs to compare, but on Tyler's suspension, there is a rubber donut that drapes over the top of the spring isolating the spring from the metal spring perch. The evo X has a full coverage isolator that stays put in the top perch. This is nice because then you don't have to worry about getting free floating peices to line up just right. I'll have more pics up after my camber plates show up.

EDIT: I just looked up the spring rates for stock 8 and X springs. The 8's rate is 180lbs/in whereas the X's is 196lbs/in. This most likely means I'll definitely have to cut a coil, but like I said before I think it will be easier to get the spring to sit right if you take it off the bottom.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I just put my evo 8 setup on with brand new OE style strut tops. I didn't like the idea of drilling extra holes in the strut towers even thought hat wouldn't be a huge deal. It fixed so many clunks in my car by switching to this setup. I haven't cut any coils at this point and it doesn't really sit much higher in front than stock. The rear hardly lowered at all, so I'd make sure you weld the bushings as far up into the strut's flange as you can.

You may be right about your evo 10 springs not having any dead coils, but the problem I see with that is cutting off "one coil" will end up dropping the car that much more. I'm not even sure I want to cut any coils as that isn't how the suspension was designed to roll.

Whoodoo

True, I see what you're saying about the front dropping more so maybe I'll get lucky and it will sit perfect. If it does, the price of used evo X struts will go through the roof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

Got my Ksport camber plates in, so now I can get the springs back on there. I got the galant specific ones, so there was a little bit of modding that I had to do in order to get the top nut on the evo X strut. In retrospect, I should have asked for a ball joint that fits an evo X and a plate that fits a galant... I don't know if they do that, but I wouldn't see why not.

Anyways, here is what each plate came with

The spacers are the first issue. Both are the same with a 12mm ID and a 5.5mm shoulder. As you can see, the evo X strut made a few problems, the first of which is that the threads are 12mm, but then after that, the strut flares out to 17mm.

Another problem: the threads aren't tall enough. The evo X strut has 19mm of 17mm OD shaft, then 19mm of 12mm threads, giving only 38mm for the spring perch, bottom spacer, ball joint, top spacer, then threads for the top nut. The ball joint is 20mm tall and each spacer has a 5.5mm shoulder. This alone is 31mm, which means the top perch is taking up all the threads that the top nut needs.

The solution to this problem took 3 steps. Bore out two of the spacers to 17mm, take off a few millimeters from the shoulders of the other spacers. And finally, take some off the top of the spring perch. There is a lot of material at the top of the spring perch that can be taken off. (sorry there isn't a pic, it won't let me upload this one, will edit later)

Here you can see the modified spacers now fit on the strut.

GRRRR! i can't get anymore pics up so I'll just try again later.

EDIT: figured out a way to get pics up so here ya go:

Milled off the 'hat' on the spring perch

This is how much threads I now have. I may take off some material from the bottom insert shoulder and completely take of the top insert shoulder just to get a few more threads.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts