The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Started my AWS removal today

Terry Posten

Took advantage of the 55 deg weather.

My garage floor was sweating like crazy. I really need to seal that this summer.

That is a MESSY job.

I capped the two ports on the fliud tank.

Unscrewed the two fittings just after the front rack and cut the ends off and bought two 5/16" commpression fittings that converted to 1/4 pipe fitting and installed caps.

I unscrewed the rear pipie fittings and let them hang. (they will come off with the pump/rack later)

I cut the two rubber lines at the rear pump and let them hang. (they will also come off with the pump/rack)

Unbolted all the clamps and removed about 50 feet of line. (Did I mention that this is a messy job?)

Started up the car after topping off the fliud level and all is tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

The next full day of good weather will see the rear diff/axles/rack/cups come out so the 4-bolt stuff can go in.

Now for the $64,000 dollar question:

Is it safe to drive the car using the AWS control arms (stock) without the rack removed?

I will have the arms welded this summer when I redo the whole exhaust mani/WG/O2 stuff, but that might be a while.

atc250r

Staff member
I put 20,000 miles on my car with the lines hacked off the rear pump and the rear rack installed without incident.

Terry Posten

Crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

I meant to say:

With the rack removed.

Will the arms move around causing a loose rear feeling?

If I remember correctly, with the rack removed it will be just like an awd DSM and you will just have active toe. But I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

Does anybody on here still use there AWS? how long did it take you to do that?

464/2K

Quote:
Took advantage of the 55 deg weather.

so did I, MR suspension is on. WOOT.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, with the rack removed it will be just like an awd DSM and you will just have active toe. But I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

'

I believe you're right about being like a dsm but I think it would be called passive toe.

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

skivittlerjimb

Hey Terry,

Just be prepared for the car to feel a bit more loosey-goosey on crowned highways and rutted roads, in particular. I think having the rear toe-control aws arms still hooked up (but with no control from the rear rack) would contribute to this feeling. Without those arms there it's pretty much just like a passive-toe set up as with a 1G.

-Jim B.
280/1000

It's passive toe with the rack off, and it will handle just fine especially if you did not like the way the 4ws felt. Or you can go all out and get Larry Parker's passive toe eliminator kit. But that is only necessary if you are serious about track/autocross work.
Mike R.

Terry Posten

My car has always felt like the rear was going to come around on me under WOT anyway.

My hope, once I have the arms welded is to have a solid feel again.

With the new setup, LSD in the rear, I hope to have 500+hp planted to the ground. I need the rear to be solid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nate

Terry,
I've done most of the different options at one time or another:
1. remove rack
2. be lazy, leave rack in, remove AWS lines
3. Remove AWS, remove subframe, add bushings.

The last option is the one you want for that tight feeling. I wouldn't worry about welding anything, just put good bushings on the rear control arms and that'll do it.

Nate

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings