The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lead Acid battery shopping

OK, I'm totally fed up with this Odyssey 925 not holding a charge, even with a trickle charger on it 24/7, and I want to go back to a standard lead acid-type battery. Problem is, since I relocated the battery, I need to find one that is roughly the same dimensions. Does anyone know WHERE online you can shop for batteries based on their dimensions? The Odyssey is 6.64" long X 7.05" wide X 5.04" high.
Thanks!

JNR

Jeff,

Don't the Odyssey and Optima type batteries require a special charging rate? I thought I read somewhere that you can't give them as much amperage as a 'regular' battery for a given time...could be wrong though.

I had a problem with my Optima, where it became weak. Granted, it's served me well in various vehicles for a few years and had sat around from time to time. But, I used a 'regular' charger and could never seem to get it to charge properly.

try www.interstatebatteries.com they should have dimensional listings or you can contact them with your needs. they have been very helpful in the past & should take good care of you.

I have run optimas since they came on the market & have never heard they need a different charge rate.

Keydiver; yours may have developed a memory, try hooking a test light to it & drag it all the way down to dead (will take a day or three) then recharge starting w/high 10+ amp charge for the first hour then drop it to 1 amp or trickle to full charge. This worked on my oldest optima (7yrs) & is worth a shot before you spend the money.

RayH

Quote:
Jeff,

Don't the Odyssey and Optima type batteries require a special charging rate? I thought I read somewhere that you can't give them as much amperage as a 'regular' battery for a given time...could be wrong though.

I had a problem with my Optima, where it became weak. Granted, it's served me well in various vehicles for a few years and had sat around from time to time. But, I used a 'regular' charger and could never seem to get it to charge properly.

Optima specifies a slightly higher float voltage than standard batteries and I was able to modify a BatteryMinder for it but I don't think that not using the higher float will prevent it from charging.

ken inn

Quote:
OK, I'm totally fed up with this Odyssey 925 not holding a charge, even with a trickle charger on it 24/7, and I want to go back to a standard lead acid-type battery. Problem is, since I relocated the battery, I need to find one that is roughly the same dimensions. Does anyone know WHERE online you can shop for batteries based on their dimensions? The Odyssey is 6.64" long X 7.05" wide X 5.04" high.
Thanks!

i had that happen with the first one i bought. it lasted about a year. the second one did great. afaik, it is still on the car. they dont have much reserve, tho.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned