The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1837 Competing in the Super Street Show Car Shootout IV

GSTwithPSI

For whatever reason, Super Street digs the Galant. Getting the [url='http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/news/2019-show-car-shootout-presented-eneos-registration-now-open/' t=_blank]Wheelwell/Super Street feature[/url] a couple months ago seems to have given me some kind of in with the producers, because they can't get enough of this shitbox. Shortly after I finished the photo shoot with [url='https://www.larrychenphoto.com/' t=_blank]Larry Chen[/url], I saw Super Street soliciting on Instagram for cars to compete in their 2019 Show Car Shootout this weekend (Saturday, July 20 and Monday, July 22), where tuner-built show cars compete to see who can put down the fastest lap at Streets of Willow Springs. I figured, what the hell, and fired off a quick email asking if they would enter my Galant since they just shot it for the feature anyways. To my surprise, I was in the running just a few days later. Somehow, out of a field of nearly 100 entries, the grocery getter prevailed once again!

For the competition, the winner is based on a combination of fastest lap times, most improved driving technique, lack of errors, and show car points. The event starts at SPOCOM, Anaheim Convention Center with a car show, and ends on the track at Streets of Willow Springs. Here's a vid from last year: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=361480204607061

I don't know much about my competition, but I do have their Instagram handles. I was planning to look them up in the coming days, but between work and prepping the car, I'm not sure if I'll get time. If you guys want to check them out and let me know what you think about the field, that'd be awesome:
upload_2019-7-16_22-22-26-png.573268

I'm not sure how the Galant will stack up in the end, but if I can just avoid breaking down, I feel like I should be fairly competitive. At the end of the day, the Galant gets some exposure, which is good for both the Galant and DSM communities alike.

I'll be working to dial in the car for the track in the coming days. I plan to tweak the ride height a bit, and get it aligned with some more aggressive specs. So, questions for the group:

1) Suggestions on general alignment specs?
2) What parts should I absolutely have with me in case of breakdown?
3) Tire pressure suggestions?
4) Heat management suggestions (It's going to be over 100* at the track)?
5) Driving tips?

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

I'm going to do my best to update this thread as the events unfold. Stay tuned!
1991-mitsubishi-galant-jdm-clear-corners-jpg.573269

turbowop

Dude. Sweet! Can't wait to see how this plays out. I had a blast at the street car comp I did. I just brought tools, tape, and zip ties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What type of brake pad compound do you have for the street? I would get something track capable. You will be amazed otherwise how fast street pads can go away when used hard, especially in high temps with less air cooling.

gvr4ever

4) Heat management suggestions (It's going to be over 100* at the track)?

Do you know how many laps you need to run? If it's just a few, a good racing oil will hopefully be enough. If it's many laps, I wouldn't do it without a front mount oil cooler and maybe even a upgrade oil pan that held more oil.

fuel

Off topic but hot DAAAYYYUUMMMM that is tasty. I've found my new wallpaper.

If you are going out with other cars and passing each other get some temp track tape to protect your headlight and foglight glass, front bumper or front hood lip. When a car goes off track and it gets back on there can be a lot of gravel left on the track.

Have an obvious front (and rear if you are OCD) tow hook affixed where a tow strap won't hurt your car. If you break down during a track session they will tow it back in a rush to keep the program moving. You don't want the tow drivers to hook your car up where it will damage it. They don't spend a lot of time looking for the best place to tow it.

Something to hold you from sliding around in the seat is important. Bracing your body with feet and steering wheel during the corners doesn't help when trying for optimum lap times. Edit: I just saw you have a harness. Many tracks or organizations make you use an approved Head and Neck restraint with a harness.

Tire pressure kind of depends on the brand or performance category of the tire along with the alignment specs. I have 1.2 degrees of neg camber on the front of my 911 and it isn't enough for the track. I've been told I should have 2.5-3.0 degrees to reduce the outside front tire wear. One easy and cheap way to help figure tire pressure out is to chalk the tire and then monitor it. click Other methods such as using a temp measuring device (contact or non contact) right after you pit can help obtain the most even temp across the width of the tire. Have a 12v tire pump with you so you can deflate and inflate as necessary.

During a twenty minute track session in the summer the tire pressure can increase about 5-10 psi. At the start of a session I use 2-6 psi below the manf recommended tire pressure so the pressure doesn't get way too high by the end. If you deflate to the max at the start, be careful on the first few laps of the session so you don't de-rim the tires.

I had one session were I wasn't smooth and was sliding around. I got the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires too warm even though the pressure wasn't too high. The tires felt a bit greasy in those conditions. The only remedy I know for that is cool down laps. My tire's tread compound is pretty soft so it also depends on the tire.

Find some insruction videos on Youtube for the track you will be on. Once you have the basics lines for the track, find other cockpit videos of cars that are similar in build to yours. Study the lines, braking points and speeds in the corners. I found it helps a lot even if you get some track practice in. A video and data recording setup on your car is good for both learning to improve and also to make some memories.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Sam

Good luck man, wish i could make it but im on call that weekend. judging by the competition, should be a breeze... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RHDGvr4

Good luck and win it for the hommies!
Yeah these guys are right,gonna be hot up there this weekend.
Thats a tight track.
Run some makshift brake ducts, to point as much air at the front brakes.
Bring extra good brake fluid, might have to bleed between sessions.
Make shure the cooling system and fans are dialed in. Pressure test
I smoked my brakes there on a evo 9,they looked Bbq ed.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Made it up to Anaheim without issue. The car is here staged with the other Shootout competitors, so swing by if you're in the area.
My competition looks stiff. Super Street advertised no track prepped cars were allowed, but some of my competitors definitely brought dedicated track cars. I definitely don't think I'm taking the poll on this one, but it will be a good time either way.

20190720_093328-jpg.573531

20190720_141726-jpg.573532

20190720_141741-jpg.573533

20190720_113746-jpg.573534

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1837 needz moar wingz.

I didn't see that Lancer/Colt on the competition list.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

this thread needs more updates... I've seen some snippets on FB... but what's the rest of the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting iceman69510:
1837 needz moar wingz.

I didn't see that Lancer/Colt on the competition list.

Bruh. Your membership here is old enough to buy cigarettes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did I need to indicate sarcasm on the wing thing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But you are right. Been here forever.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting slugsgomoo:
this thread needs more updates... I've seen some snippets on FB... but what's the rest of the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All of the competitors were asked by the Super Street staff to hold off on posting major updates until after they published their content on the event. I posted a few things on Facebook, and am waiting to put up more stuff until after the SS article drops.

I will say, the Galant did much better than I could have hoped for, and would have faired even better if two of the contenders brought street cars, rather than full-on track cars (which the entry requirements specifically stated were not allowed).

Hopefully the SS content drops here in the coming week or so. The FF Battle content is already out, which took place the same day we had our competition at the track. The Showcar Shootout stuff shouldn't be too far behind.

slugsgomoo

if the rules said no track cars, why weren't they DQ'ed, or why were they invited in the first place? I don't get that.

IWasPastaRocket

Next to that black FD, old sled-nose looks so classic.

Glad to hear she held up well. Can't wait for the results.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting slugsgomoo:
if the rules said no track cars, why weren't they DQ'ed, or why were they invited in the first place? I don't get that.

I brought that point up a few times, but the answer I essentially got was that those cars could be driven on the street, so they got a pass.

The Miata and white WRX were bonafide track cars. Cages, slicks, gutted, etc. The WRX had LOTS of money in it, to include a full fire suppression system...

"Street car," they called it. When we left the car show on Saturday, the owner was headed to get the car corner balanced before the track day on Monday. I will say though, that car was extremely clean and well built. A lot of thought, planning and care went into putting that thing together.

The lap times will clearly show the disparity between the two fields. That black RX7 though; that car and driver were just legit AF. Dude cut amazing times in what was truly a street car.

slugsgomoo

I'm going to put a fire system in my car, but that's just because of $$ involved at this point. I'm keeping my interior, and roll cages are for race cars... there are enough un-sanctioned events that I can probably still run the car anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts