The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1274/2000

MikeyTsi

Located this one, it's for sale by a local Washington guy.

He "doesn't know cars", and apparently has had difficulty finding a competent mechanic. I drove it on Saturday and found the following:

Definitely has an oil leak.
Failed emissions last time.
Feels like it has a boost leak.
Water is getting in to the trunk, so bad seal somewhere.
Water is also apparently getting in to the driver's footwell.
A/C doesn’t work.
Engine seems "rough". Thinking it could be as simple as bad plugs/wires, or something a lot more serious.
It's a series of things that could be either simple/cheap maintenance items, or could be something seriously wrong. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not worth $4000 in it's condition.

Trying to decide if I should go forward with an inspection, or if I should just keep looking.

prove_it

Quoting MikeyTsi:
So? This isn't a for sale thread.

You literally asked us to evaluate a car for you, then turn and deny the need to show us pics or a link to the ad? Are you 15yrs old?

Given what you said, which is the list of bad, no mileage listed, no body condition, no links, no pics, no relevant info, I would say this car is worth what he sells it for.

MikeyTsi

I was commenting on the mechanical stuff, not physical condition. Hence, didn't really think pictures are necessary.

For what it's worth, exterior is about what you'd expect, it's mostly good shape with clearcoat going bad on the roof. Serviceable but could use freshening at some point in the future. Interior is rather nice still, just has the usual wear/small tears on the driver's lumbar. Shifter is loose but that's easily taken care of.

Due to popular demand though, pictures!

XuiVbFR.jpg

dqmLMPp.jpg

i8FFBjI.jpg

GNKJLif.jpg

RAWwLs6.jpg

tFG371v.jpg

veqrjSe.jpg

iHMz88r.jpg

RXWByXg.jpg

oSRGUE5.jpg

gRDidlO.jpg

gtQ8bVm.jpg

guTcyGm.jpg

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Based on the pictures and your description, I'd be willing to pay somewhere in the 2.5-3k range depending on the extent of the mechanical issues. The body looks pretty straight, and the car appears to be complete for the most part. Those things are truly what matter, IMO.

MikeyTsi

That's about what I was thinking. I really need something relatively reliable for now though, I already have two non-running DSMs in the driveway.

I guess I can spring for a CarFax and then take it in for a pre-purchase inspection and go from there.

thomcasey

What about the underside? Rust like to hids underneath at the rockers and frame rails

4Grim

IF it didn't have those issues...yes $4k sounds like a fair price, BUT it has those issues...so $3k or lower range sounds more reasonable from the pics you posted of the car. Looks like a 6/10 car, and from the pics doesn't look like it suffers from major rust issues, but then again till you really inspect the undercarriage and under the doglegs and inspect the rockers.

Sounds like its going to need some TLC before its a good daily driver. If its going to be a project car...looks like it has good bones from the pics.

thomcasey

I would still check. Water can cause corrosion, not just salt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts