The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1772/2000: A love story

weirdbeard

Hey, ladies and gents
So technically I am a newbie here still, but I have been a long time lurker.
I am no stranger to forums, DSMs, modded vehicles, turbos, etc. However I am fresh meat as far as gvr4 is concerned so I am free game. I tend to like obscure vehicles and I believe gvr4's fit the bill.

I was seriously on the hunt for a vr4 for the past 2 years. The only problem was that there have been very few for sale locally and I couldn't justify shipping one at the time.

I check the boards almost daily but got caught up with school and didn't come on for a few weeks. This is when 1772 was posted by Josh. I have a search saved on craigslist so whenever vr4 is posted it notifies me and this is when I first saw it.

After looking at 1772 the first time I pretty much knew I was going to buy it, however I just wanted to check it out a second time to look it over a little more thoroughly.

It must be a midwest thing, but Josh drove the car to my house both times and let me check the car out in the comforts of my own house. This definitely made the process more comfortable.

We worked a deal out and I picked it up a couple days before my 30th birthday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif call it a midlife crisis if you will haha.

A few pics to keep your attention.

The first time Josh came over. I wanted to take a pic to mess with my buddies, and I told them I bought it.

The next day after we swapped the carbon fiber hood on

and another

I have put about 150 miles on it in the last 3 days and I am loving it. I do not plan on doing anything major to it in the immediate future however(sorry fellas). I am just going to try and enjoy driving it on the weekends and do some maintenance things, along with getting some powder coating done to the suspension which is mildly rusty.

I still need to come up with a solid game plan, but for the mean time this thread will serve as a way to document what happens to 1772/2000.

transparentdsm

congrats, you have a great car that was owned by a very competent member. you have yourself a great starting point. as for not modding it, good. its super hard and rare to find an unmolested clean example such as this car.

weirdbeard

I definitely agree. I have been clocking some miles on it for sure.

The 4ws lines are leaking pretty good so I think eliminating the 4ws will be my first major mod.

I was talking with Josh today and we have similar goals for 1772. I want to focus more on resto-modding it.

I am not really into drag racing or auto-x so I want to make it a GT car.

School is getting pretty intense so it is making it difficult to really get much done.

IncorpoRatedX

img.php

CheapTalon

Josh I a good friend and a true mitsu enthusiast. Happy the car found a suitable owner that will take care of it. I'll be keeping tabs on this thread to see where things go. Now buy those futuras! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

prove_it

Congrats, and by the way, I hope your not thinking 30 is mid-life.

weirdbeard

Hey, If I make it to 60 I think that will be pretty darn good, haha.

Drove her to school today. She appreciates the covered parking I am sure, it is already getting way too hot here in AZ.

weirdbeard

Welp, the timing belt tensioner decided it didn't want to work anymore. I caught it early so I am hoping nothing was destroyed.

Josh and I are going to swap it out on Sunday with a new OEM one.

Also my son approves of the vr4. He actually loves it which is surprising.

I also decided to kick the GTO out of the garage and let the vr4 get some shelter. It started raining here and I got it in right before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

img.php

prove_it

You got a smart boy there.

weirdbeard

Here's a video of the noise. keep your fingers crossed it just the tensioner.

Watch "Galant vr4 4g63 rattling noise from engine." on YouTube
Galant vr4 4g63 rattling noise from engine.: click

weirdbeard

Some grossness that was bothering me. Ripped the seats out, going to clean up all the rust and replace all the hardware. I pulled up the carpet and there was no rust anywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Vacuumed it out and going to shampoo it tomorrow. The original owner was not so good at keeping their coffee inside the cup. Sooo many stains. Hopefully the shampooing gets it all out.

img.php

img.php

img.php
[/url]

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'd pull the carpet and check for more rust. That's a considerable amount of rust for being in the cabin. Looks to me like the carpet got wet at some point...A spilled cup of coffee doesn't do that.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That's pretty typical of midwest/north snow/slush/salt rust on the seat tracks, though a little worse than I have seen in my cars.

transparentdsm

while the carpets are out you should get some RIT dye and refresh the color of the carpet. i did mine in black about 25k miles ago and there still looking great.

weirdbeard

You know I thought about dying the carpet. I was just trying to do a quick clean and didn't want it to end up taking multiple days. But I will do some quick research on it.

And carpet was pulled all the way to center console and I saw no signs of rust.

transparentdsm

took me 2 days. day 1 and night 1 was clean carpet with power washer and put in 20 gallon bucket with 3-4 packets of rit dye. let sit. before i went to bed i flipped the carpet around. day 2 woke up early and flipped again, i waited till 11 pulled the carpet rinsed it off and let sit in the sun all day. by the end of the day it was dry enough to reinstall in the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts