The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Yet another uber cool part from Penultimate Performance

curtis

Sorry Toybreaker couldn't keep the secret any longer.

This awesomeness is brought to you by toybreaker and is friends at Penultimate performance.
Alot of you probably never saw the screw impeller design, Pentium processor modified eprom ecu or the experiment port design from a few years ago but this is by far one of the coolest parts I've ever tested.

This my friends is the new experimentally 1500ft lbs of torque 3 bolt axle flange that we just pulled out today from testing. Brought to you by years of intense design work and the proper use of nasa grade titanium. I placed Mr Adams next to it to show you the scale of the almost 2 inch splines for the shaft.

Flange is a mere 250 grams and Mr Adams empty of course is 201

Axles should show up next week. Yes Titanium and yes hollow tubes and yes Ti bearings and hats, We're praying for a 40lbs of weight reduction in the rotational mass of the powertrain.

Diego

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Yes!

GSX_TC

Wow so that's for titanium axles for a VR4?

cheekychimp

Holy sh*t Curtis, so you guys finally perfected the titanium welding process so that you could make these? That's f***ing awesome! Any news back from Coates Engineering on that rotating valve head prototype for the 4G63 block yet? This is going to revolutionize the whole 4G63 world. VGT turbo making 25 psi almost off the line and a potential 14,000 rpm redline. It is going to f***ing rip! With the dogbox transmission and these axles you should have no trouble holding the power. All you have to figure out now is how to get it to the ground. PM me after Thursday and I should have some more information about getting those roller bearings machined for the custom crank. They said that they can do it but the bearings require constant lubrication and cooling from the engine oil so we may need to rethink that dry sump.

Last edited:

Barnes

This is pretty awesome. Too bad it is going to be insanely expensive.

toybreaker

iconoclast

opulence ain't cheap

prove_it

You guys are definetly in a whole other league.....

crazy bastards

Hertz

Staff member
I am thoroughly disappointed that the impeller is not ambihelical like promised. I demand my $3500 deposit back.

Diego

Quoting prove_it:
You guys are definetly in a whole other league.....

crazy bastards

+1 John is crazy , but a great friend.

There is always a method to Johns madness, he makes a great conversational person with so much knowledge.

number3

Quoting Barnes:

I could not agree more. I buy flat bar Ti for shields and it is crazy more money than 304 stainless.

BrandonEchols

Hoooooly sh*t.
That is awesome.
And that turbo is absolutely ludicrous.

curtis

Quoting cheekychimp:
Holy sh*t Curtis, so you guys finally perfected the titanium welding process so that you could make these? That's f***ing awesome! Any news back from Coates Engineering on that rotating valve head prototype for the 4G63 block yet? This is going to revolutionize the whole 4G63 world. VGT turbo making 25 psi almost off the line and a potential 14,000 rpm redline. It is going to f***ing rip! With the dogbox transmission and these axles you should have no trouble holding the power. All you have to figure out now is how to get it to the ground. PM me after Thursday and I should have some more information about getting those roller bearings machined for the custom crank. They said that they can do it but the bearings require constant lubrication and cooling from the engine oil so we may need to rethink that dry sump.

Once the engine is running the crank is only skimming the oil in the sump and isn't immersed in it so we should be looking at oil squirters to lubricate and cool the bearings I'm thinking maybe having multiple oil squirters instead of just the one that hits the bottom of the pistons. With the dry sump pump we can run a spray bar out across the stud girdle or just rifle drill the girdle and have 4 sprayers pointed at the bearings on each hole. All this because it will work more efficiently and allow us to keep the dry sump system. It defeats the whole purpose of using roller bearings if we have to add a crap load of resistance by having the crank drag through oil in the sump.

Now the spherical valve head is capable of well over 14,000 rpms coates proved this with a 302 ford V8 and 4 2 barrel carbs and pushed passed 1000hp but the problem will be if the rods and pistons can hold up to those sort of g-forces. The 302 has a lot more forgiving rod to stroke ratio. Alex proved it will go that high but only once. Plus the transmission/clutch may not even shift at those speeds. Shep, Mikes evo two and others are spinning 10K and living but the amount of power from a 10K to a 14K rpm limit is amazing, we could actually see 4 or 500 more hp since the heads have such a large volumetric efficiency range.

Now a local buddy of mine had a s366 with r cover on a stick shift 1G now has a precision turbo probably a 70mm (want tell but did show me phone pictures) and has went to the efforts and risk to go to a automatic. Car has a sinister torque converter and a manual valve body with a B&M shifter. I've always said I'd never do it because I like curves and shifting out of corners but I rode in the car last week after building him a new dump tube for the wastegate and its actually fun. Before the car has went 7.0's at 108 in the 1/8 with a 1.6/1.7 60ft on 32psi. Went last Wednesday night to knock the cobwebs out and went a 7.5 with a 1.7 60 ft at 92 mph on 18psi when he goes the 36psi next time out car should be insanely fast. I was just amazed at how the car comes online, the turbine is small with a huge wheel so it instantly starts to do work at any pressure on the gas pedal. He pulled from my driveway and barely touched the gas and the gauge went to 2psi. I may start doing some auto research on all the ins and outs but the only part that scares me is the overdrive band. From what I've always read the band in the auto dsm's can't live up at speed under full boost. If I do it I want to be able to go ballistic, If I wanted a 120mph car I'd buy a pickup truck with a governor programed in the ecu.

Now all looks good with the ECTED differential for the trans as well as the rear, just waiting for an email back from the guy the R&D dept on Tuesday. For you guys that don't know its kind of like the factory units in the evo's that are electronically controlled.

click me

RedTwo

Quoting toybreaker:

opulence ain't cheap

Mad Max makes turbos? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting Barnes:

I'm pretty sure that is why he is doing the axle development first. Correct me if I am wrong but the strength of the 4-bolt rear is due to the different axles used, NOT the additional bolt. There is no need for a 4-bolt version since 3-bolts are readily available and with these axles would be twice as strong. I think the idea is to offer both titanium and regular steel models in a similar fashion to the way Harry markets his scatter shields. The lightweight components will be available at a price to serious racers whilst sales of the standard components will offer budget racers a solution to broken axles and provide funds for Curtis and John to pursue development of the other parts.

The problem at this stage is developing a cost effective solution to mate the larger diameter axles with the rear differential.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts