The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ig gsx sway bars on a gvr4

donkeylips

As far as I know, as long as you don't have any of the 4WS components anymore. If you have the 4WS rear pump or rack you need one from a gvr4.

cheekychimp

Rear might work if you have no 4WS as stated, pretty sure the front will not.

SouthCaliVR4

Actually the front is a no problem fit & again without four wheel steering the rear fits as well.

cheekychimp

We are talking about a DSM GSX not a Galant GSX right? If so I would appreciate it if I could send you a photo for some advice because I bought a DSM swaybar off a member here that was supposed to fit the VR4 and it's not even close.

donkeylips

Are you talking front or rear? Front should definitely fit, rear won't if you still have 4WS components.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting cheekychimp:
We are talking about a DSM GSX not a Galant GSX right? If so I would appreciate it if I could send you a photo for some advice because I bought a DSM swaybar off a member here that was supposed to fit the VR4 and it's not even close.

yes dsm, fits. yours should have fit unless there's some jdm difference I am not aware of.

Brianawd

I have ST swaybars on my vr4 that came off my Talon. So yes they do fit. The back will not fit if still have aws

cheekychimp

Mmmmm that was what I had been led to believe too. Like I said I guess I need to post up a picture of the bar to confirm it is a DSM bar first.

Brianawd

Quote:
Mmmmm that was what I had been led to believe too. Like I said I guess I need to post up a picture of the bar to confirm it is a DSM bar first

Are you sure its not a 2g dsm bar?

cheekychimp

Distinct possibility. I may have fucked up through having insufficient knowledge of the USDM models. How would I identify a 2G bar? Are the ears twisted 90 degrees?

I've seen FWD 1G's with front bars and front control arms that utilize a bolt style endlink instead of the dual ball joint style endlink.

cheekychimp

Yeah it is a front bar. That's interesting about the FWD bar. Could it be made to work or alternatively would it fit a FWD Galant like the GTi?

I'm taking shots in the dark here, but I'd imagine you could utilize a rear swaybar end link, just turned upside down. The ball portion of the link would attach to the control arm, and the bolt portion could attach to the bar itself. One question though, is this bar that you have an upgrade? Because stock FWD 1G bars are only 19mm diameter, while AWD 1G and VR4 front bars are 20mm. It may not be worth it if the bar is stock...

Another thought, the VR4 front bar has a slight "u" shaped bend in the center of it so the driveshaft has clearance to go underneath. I'm not sure if a FWD bar will have that.

Any how, it should be good to run on a FWD galant, you may have to get creative with the link depending on the type of control arms being used, but the bar should be shaped correctly otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

It's supposed to be an upgraded bar, I thought actually it was an ST bar but I'll have to check and get a picture, I'm sure that would help. I am also pretty sure that it has a part number on it.

Edit: Okay it is supposed to be an ST bar. I found the old for sale thread with a link to the bar that I was supposed to get and I thought it looks very similar to what I got but I just called Ken and he says this bar is nothing like the stock one. I obviously need to go and get a photo of my actual bar and post it up to compare it to see if I got sent the wrong one. Are the endlinks different on a DSM? It also says FWD and AWD bars are the same.

Sway Bar Link

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts