The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Won't Idle

beaner

I've been spending fall and winter rebuilding the engine in my 92tsi. I just got it back together and it won't hold idle. Basically it starts, revs up to 2500-3000, then just dies about 2-3 seconds in.

6 bolt 2.0 8.5:1
hks 272s
evo 560cc injectors
93oct @ 37psi
virgin 2g maf
stock tb/manifold
new bosch o2 sensor
isc is good
tb and throttle closed switch is adjusted perfectly

I've played with 180'ing the cas and swapping the plug wires. I've also played with the BISS. It's 2 full turns out right now, but nothing changes when I mess with it either way.

Thanks for any help.

click

524of1000

Sounds like it's too lean. Check for an intake leak, make sure all couplers are on correctly, that the trottle plate is closing properly, the TB bolts are torqued down, ect. I had a similar problem, it was sucking in air between the TB and Intake Mani because it wasn't torqued properly.

Can you hold it in an idle? What does it sound like when it idles? I would not say that this a fuel issue, because if you are too lean to where it dies your car will not start. Have you tested your TPS? and your gounding switch?

beaner

When the RPMs fall, I can keep the car alive with my right foot. I was afraid to do this though cause I know something isn't right and there's way too much time and money into this setup. I adjusted the TPS forever ago with an ohm meter, then when I installed DSMLink the TPS logged from 0 to 100 perfectly. I didn't test the closed throttle sensor, but I adjusted the TB cable and that sensor perfectly according to my eyeball.

Lonewolf64

From your OP I can't tell if you've actually gone through the proper base idle set procedure. You should definitely do this if you haven't. You should also get out your multi-meter and check your closed throttle switch to see if it works. If neither of those things help and you are sure that your ISC works, I would try swapping out to a known working CAS.

beaner

I'll test the closed throttle switch tonight.

I already tried swapping the CAS from my gvr4, which runs fine. The CAS in the log is the gvr4 CAS. So it for sure works.

Adorsey

You can simulate Closed throttle switch on dsmlink.
It could be in the wiring, after the connection at the tb is made.

aaron619

What your describing sounds like an intake/boost leak. If the car will run off idle, and the TPS, CAS, and closed throttle work. Do you have a boost/vaccum gauge installed in the car? If you can get it to idle, even if high, with closed throttle you should have around 20"hg on your gage (with stock cams). If not, I would start looking for a big vaccum leak- brake booster, intake manifold, ect. If you do have good vaccum, look for a leak between the MAF and the turbo inlet, that's assuming it is working as designed. My 2 cents

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts