The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No power after 5k

Hey guys, so fixed all the boost leaks (aside from one small one coming from the BOV flange), installed 550cc injectors, 2g maf, etc. Now when I'm in boost it pulls a lot harder, only downside is it seems to lose power at around 5k rpms. Still accelerates, but very slow and can no longer hear my o2 dump. Shift gears, o2 dump is as loud as ever, pulls hard, until 5k comes around again. What are your thoughts?

Barnes

Do you have any other tuning equipment on the car? A Keydiver ECU? SAFC? etc etc?

Nothing at the moment. Waiting to put in a 3" DP to install my wideband to check AFR's (wondering if it's running rich causing me to lose spool)

Barnes

I think that having no way of tuning is your problem. A 2g maf and 550's are supposed to 'cancel each other out' but it isn't perfect. I highly recommend getting that wideband installed and some way of tuning properly.

I might be able to get my hands on a SAFCII, but I don't know if it's compatible with OBDI

AnotherNewb

An SAFC2 will work on these cars the same as they work on a DSM. However, it is best to have a chip burned for your mods IE 550's and 2g mas. The ECU is in the wrong timing maps because it is seeing less airflow with the 2g mas as opposed to the factory MAS. When you start playing with an SAFC you are adjusting how much airflow your computer sees vs Actual. Thing is the computer selects its timing and fuel maps based on airflow and other factors. So if your ECU is seeing less airflow than what is really going into the engine then it is adjusting itself to the wrong perameters.

I was running a similar setup in 1947/2000. Car ran fine with stock MAS and injectors, upgraded to a 2g mas and 550 injectors, Was really missing out in the top end. Cracked the ECU open and saw lots of leaky CAP damage. Now this wasn't noticable with the stock parts, just 2g mas and 550's. Had a chip burned and the caps repaired and it was good as new.

mitsuturbo

Quoting ninnyVR4:
Nothing at the moment. Waiting to put in a 3" DP to install my wideband to check AFR's (wondering if it's running rich causing me to lose spool)

Barnes is right. The two devices canceling one another out is a myth, especially in the higher RPM range. I tried it, and it yielded similar results to what you are experiencing.

Barnes

By burned chip we mean a KeyDiver ECU. I don't know if he is currently making any more at the moment.

A DSMLink would also help with this issue. We recommend the KeyDiver ECU because it is generally much much easier, and cheaper. On a stock block, mildly modded car, I don't think you get any better than a KeyDiver ECU.

It could be a poor ignition issue. My car was doing the exact same thing by no power after about 5k rpms. In my case it was due to putting a COP setup on it. But when I put my normal wires back on it fixed the problem. Might be completely different, but if nothing else, it may be worth looking into.

Lukefraizer

i was told I should this burn who can I get ahold of to get it? Im willing to beg! And payment is always a good perk! So any leads would be really helpful!

AnotherNewb

Quoting Lukefraizer:
i was told I should this burn who can I get ahold of to get it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i can burn basic chips if needed. i dont really have the time to invest in major modifications since im working on my dsmap stuff but simple injector and maf changes should no be an issue.

does your boost stay steady at 5k rpm or does it fall off?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned