GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Speedo drive?
Previous thread Next thread

Speedo drive?

Toymota2
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 953278 posted 11/29/10 01:19 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Now on my ZR4 since it is running rear wheel drive I think the guy who did it pulled the shaft out that the speedo pick up runs off. Is there a way around this to make the speedo work when running RWD or does it run off the front axles? Anyone that has pulled one of these gearboxes apart and made to run RWD only will probably be able to answer this for me .

| | | IP: (118.92.17.36) | Report this post to a Moderator

H05TYL
Hover/Stand/Bend

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 953286 posted 11/29/10 03:47 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The speedo is driven off a gear on the front diff.

With the centre diff locked and the front drive shafts removed the car will be rwd, you can either put the cv cups back into the box, or block the holes where they go with frost plugs or similar. It'd be unusual to remove the front diff completely, though this could be your problem.

First up, have a look and see if the speedo cable is connected to the gearbox. If it is then see if the inner cv cups are still in place - if they are the front diff must be present (or they would fall out).

JDM E39A - 0010362 VR-4 Project 燃えないゴミ(Unburnable Junk) - stolen
JDM E39A - 0020096 VR-4 Daily - sold

Posts: 752 | From: Wgtn, NZ | Member Since: 06/09/07 | IP: (121.73.146.65) | Report this post to a Moderator

Toymota2
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 953480 posted 11/29/10 06:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hmmm that is strange then as I have spoken with the guy that did it and he said that the front diff is still in there just locked. I have checked and the front cv cups are still in the gearbox also and the speedo cable is still screwed into the gearbox. He said the speedo stopped working after he made it RWD. Looks like I may have to pull it out and see for myself, the syncros are a bit average anyway.

| | | IP: (222.152.167.36) | Report this post to a Moderator

grocery_getter
Senior Crab
836/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 953523 posted 11/29/10 08:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
He needs to weld the output gears on both half of the CD. He is making it RWD by welding only the top output gear to the CD "hat" he needs to weld the bottom output gear to the CD "bucket" as well. The bottom gear inner splines slides on the CD output shaft with the big tall gear that drives the front diff where the speedo gear "helix cut" is machined on. On a more important topic than your speedometer not working. The big gear bolted on to the front diff is what function as the oil pump in the transmission. As the car is driving and the front diff is turning, it distributes oil in side the tranny. If the front diff is not turning (as evident by the lack of speedo reading) then your tranny is not getting any lubrication as well. STOP DRIVING it until you can fix this problem. When he weld the bottom gear to the CD "bucket" please use a jig because it can be welded off center which will change the location of the CD "bucket" and it will not lined up with the top bearing anymore.

Andre

Andre
836/2000
PINA MOTORSPORTS
Facebook page

Posts: 1225 | From: Kent - industrial suburbs of S... | Member Since: 06/20/04 | IP: (96.26.33.230) | Report this post to a Moderator

steve Galant VR4.org Administrator
Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 953554 posted 11/29/10 09:13 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
^Knowledge.

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (76.6.42.80) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2776

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.164 seconds in which 0.14 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page