GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » O ring or not?
Previous thread Next thread

O ring or not?

Blown1
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 950796 posted 11/19/10 03:48 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hey guys just wondering at what point,power level, boost level etc does it become necessary to have the block o ringed. I am getting ready to rebuild my motor and my builder wants to know if I want to o ring the block. I only want to do this rebuild once(hopefully)and not have to worry about taking things apart again.Rebuild will be all forged internals and some good rods Manley,Crower,Pauter or the like.Does anyone know if eagle rods are only ok to the 500-600whp mark? have they solved that rod bolt issue since changing to the bigger size? In essence is anyone making over 600whp on eagle rods and it stayed together? Not that its what I want but you never know.I know nothing is guaranteed but I just want to make sure I am not wasting money that I could be using somewhere else to make the car go faster please include pro's and cons with your personal experience not what you have heard.Did a search on o ring block and only came up with the cft car hope the frcII will be done soon.....
Thanks
D

Edited by Blown1 (11/20/10 11:24 AM)

| | | IP: (71.235.196.54) | Report this post to a Moderator

donniekak
Member ++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 950885 posted 11/19/10 09:30 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

Posts: 747 | From: surprise az | Member Since: 01/01/09 | IP: (24.56.32.42) | Report this post to a Moderator

Terry Posten
Old Balls
425/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 950898 posted 11/19/10 10:08 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If you are going to boost past 25psi, then o-ring the block. Just make sure you use stainless steel and not brass.

1992 Galant VR4 click
2010 Outlander GT S-AWC Premium w/nav (wife daily)
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury (my daily

Posts: 9009 | From: Davenport, Iowa USA | Member Since: 12/16/03 | IP: (173.26.17.192) | Report this post to a Moderator

Blown1
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 950958 posted 11/20/10 01:35 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting donniekak:

People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

From your answer it seems like you think the stock rods are stronger than the eagle rods come on man 650whp on stock rods????????????????? Didnt read my post fully huh? No I heard or talk to people who have made if that was the case then every other mitsubishi out there would be running around with 600+whp come bro..

Terry thanks for the recommendation on the the type of material for the O ring and yes I am absolutely going above 25psi doesnt life begins at 20psi for turbocharged mitsubishi's anyway? :cool

Edited by Blown1 (11/20/10 01:39 AM)

Garfield Wright
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 950989 posted 11/20/10 06:54 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
O-ring it. I used to be scared of Eagle rods but they seem to have gotten much better now. I know people making 750 @ the wheels with Eagle H-Beam rods. They will hold the power you want to make & they're cheap too. Personally, I'd put I-Beam rods in my car but you can't ignore the affordability of the Eagle H-Beams.

| | | IP: (66.229.166.41) | Report this post to a Moderator

misfitsnemesis
602/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 951005 posted 11/20/10 09:07 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Most people now adays are just using the Felpro PermaTorque MLS Headgasket and L19 studs instead of oringing. This combo is proven to hold up very well for 700+HP. x2 on what garfield said. Eagle have come along way and i would use now if you wanted a H beam acourse. The I beams are gonna be better but if your looking for a budget cant beat eagle rods for the price.

Edited by misfitsnemesis (11/20/10 11:20 AM)

Posts: 72 | From: bristol TN | Member Since: 02/22/06 | IP: (216.41.248.229) | Report this post to a Moderator

donniekak
Member ++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 951015 posted 11/20/10 10:11 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting Blown1:

Quoting donniekak:

From your answer it seems like you think the stock rods are stronger than the eagle rods come on man 650whp on stock rods????????????????? Didnt read my post fully huh? No I heard or talk to people who have made if that was the case then every other mitsubishi out there would be running around with 600+whp come bro..

Terry thanks for the recommendation on the the type of material for the O ring and yes I am absolutely going above 25psi doesnt life begins at 20psi for turbocharged mitsubishi's anyway? :cool

The eagles are obviously stronger than stock. You asked if eagles were good for 600+, they are.

As for the o-ring. I have run 38 psi without rings, and pushed no coolant with a1 studs. I had an o-ringed block in the garage just in case, but never needed it.

I read you post fully, and actually understood it, despite your lack of grammar. Do kids these days learn how to read and write by text message?

Posts: 747 | From: surprise az | Member Since: 01/01/09 | IP: (24.56.32.42) | Report this post to a Moderator

Blown1
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 951037 posted 11/20/10 11:35 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
"The eagles are obviously stronger than stock. You asked if eagles were good for 600+, they are.As for the o-ring. I have run 38 psi without rings, and pushed no coolant with a1 studs. I had an o-ringed block in the garage just in case, but never needed it.I read you post fully, and actually understood it, despite your lack of grammar. Do kids these days learn how to read and write by text message?"

Thanks for clearing that up for me sir, and by the way I am no kid thank you. As you clearly did not see in the original post I requested from "personal experience not what you may have heard". You then clearly went on to state that "People have made 650+ at the wheels, on stock rods. I have talked to several people who have made 600+ with eagles. If you are that worried, get some i-beams.

As for my grammar sir I would check my own work before making such erroneous statements. You forgot to close your quotation marks and you over punctuate where it isn't needed to sound intelligent please, I asked a simple question sir and you failed to read the requirements. Thank you for your second response which was more of what I was looking for, again thank you and have a wonderful day.

Edited by Blown1 (11/23/10 01:24 PM)

4thStroke
Spence knows tools
786/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 951894 posted 11/23/10 03:38 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
+1 for Fel-Pro Permatorque and L19s/A1s.

Posts: 1864 | From: Vancouver, WA | Member Since: 10/22/07 | IP: (67.171.235.101) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2744

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.318 seconds in which 0.15 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page