The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Has anyone successfully gotten an Evo 8 ecu to work on gvr4/1g dsm's ???

nickbuilt

Just wondering if anyone has gotten the Evo 8 ecu to work successfully on a gvr4/1g Dsm? Did a search and can't really find any answers to this question other than a how-to which hasn't been updated?

-nick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

nickbuilt

Yea I saw that! I was asking if it successfully works he said he was gonna update us on that but from what I can see it isn't updated any info??

-nick

Brunoboy

i have seen post where he said it works very well.

524of1000

The evo8 ECU works fantasticly. Buy the required parts, follow the how to thread and enjoy the literally unlimited tuning abilities.

nickbuilt

Ok kool, I have everything needed and I have been making the jumper harness for the past couple of days! But broxma was saying that the Isc wires were reversed but that he wasn't certain of that and I was wondering what was up with that!

-nick

Brunoboy

Simple isc blockoff

nickbuilt

i kinda want to use an isc is that possible???

-nick

524of1000

PM Brox or I'll ask him tomorrow if I remember. He may just see this thread and answer himself.

broxma

I'm here. The problem was with the wiring diagram. The diagram was for a 90 which has the ISC wires in a different location. I corrected it in the post at EvoM and can help anyone who wants to do this swap as in my reply to Nick, it is the best mod I have done.

Just a bit of advice, just get the Evo MAS. Trying to tune the 2G MAS on the Evo ECU tends to be hit or miss. With the Evo MAS, you do nothing. Most of the aftermarket injector scalings and latencies can be found at EvoM as well. Assuming most people already have a laptop, the entire swap can be done for less than 300.00 if you get creative and lucky on some prices. ECU's at EvoM run 150.00 normally. You can use a 2G or Evo knock sensor. The ECU plugs can be junkyard snatched from 2000+ Eclipses and all NA Lancers. The ECU cable can be had used for about 75.00. The Evo MAS is the tricky part. Some go cheap, some go expensive, but 300-350 is about right.

I am actually sitting down right now to build my E-85 map for my Galant considering I just got a station up within a mile of my house. In addition, I have the sensors to switch to speed density which I will probably do in the near future as well.

/brox

nickbuilt

Thank you so much broxma your always so helpful I pm'ed you back with a couple more questions!

-nick

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting broxma:
I'm here. The problem was with the wiring diagram. The diagram was for a 90 which has the ISC wires in a different location. I corrected it in the post at EvoM and can help anyone who wants to do this swap as in my reply to Nick, it is the best mod I have done.

Just a bit of advice, just get the Evo MAS. Trying to tune the 2G MAS on the Evo ECU tends to be hit or miss. With the Evo MAS, you do nothing. Most of the aftermarket injector scalings and latencies can be found at EvoM as well. Assuming most people already have a laptop, the entire swap can be done for less than 300.00 if you get creative and lucky on some prices. ECU's at EvoM run 150.00 normally. You can use a 2G or Evo knock sensor. The ECU plugs can be junkyard snatched from 2000+ Eclipses and all NA Lancers. The ECU cable can be had used for about 75.00. The Evo MAS is the tricky part. Some go cheap, some go expensive, but 300-350 is about right.

I am actually sitting down right now to build my E-85 map for my Galant considering I just got a station up within a mile of my house. In addition, I have the sensors to switch to speed density which I will probably do in the near future as well.

/brox

Do you think it's suitable to just use a 3g maf instead since they are so close, or do you actually mean EVO "evo" MAF?

broxma

I mean Evo as in Evo 8/9. I don't know if the 3g MAS is identical to the Evo MAS or not but with the new map tracer abilities in EvoScan and some of the other logging programs available over on EvoM, it will be easier to dial a different MAS in now than it has been in the past. For myself, I took the approach that if I could normalize as much as possible during the switch, I would have a better idea if the switch was a success. I used the Factory Evo 8 MAS, which I still use, and factory Evo 8 injectors. That way I could use a stock map and eliminate fueling and airflow in case anything was not running proper. I was fortunate in that I had no wiring issue with my transition so once I corrected the glaring CEL issues such as rear heated O2, EGT, EGR etc., I switched to my FIC 1050's using the scaling I already had.

I will get the final answer on the ISC wire mentioned earlier tomorrow for nick or anyone else looking to swap. I don't use the ISC but it is wired up correctly on my car and would work if it were plugged in, and not plugged up on the TB.

/brox

nickbuilt

Cool thanks again for your help all your information has been a great help to me!

-nick

broxma

So I have updated the link to the Evo-DSM Schematic in the How to. I apologize for the How to being rather non inclusive however it isn't really something which can be done step by step but instead requires a good deal of reading and understanding.

As far as the corrections I have made in the How To concerning the changes to the schematic, they are correct. The issue was that there were two schematics posted on EvoM. One was for the 90 ECU and one for the 91-94. My problem was that I found the 91-94 schematic confusing, so instead, I simply noted changes between the two and corrected them textually. To clarify the issue with the ISC, it is quite possible that either way would work. That is that since the ISC is simply a coil, having it connected using either of the schematics would probably allow it to function. Regardless, the actual wiring did change in the model year switch from 90 to 91 and the wires became reversed. That is noted near the bottom of the post above the OBDI picture.

Evo 18-DSM 67 - ISC Coils are reversed but the jury is still out on if this matters.
Evo 5-DSM 68 - See above.

The 90 diagram has Evo pin 18 going to DSM 68 and pin 5 going to 67, but as I said, they are reversed from 91 on. The only other change which must be addressed is the MAF Reset which I also noted.

Evo 19- DSM 6 - 90 to 91 changed the wire for the MAF Reset from 14 to 6

If you notice in the schematic posted here UPDATED LINK TO SCHEMATIC you will see the 90 diagram has pin 19 going to DSM 14. This simply needs to change to DSM 6.

I am currently pulling the block out of my Evo at the moment but if I can find time this weekend I will post an updated .xml file I use with ECUFlash which has many of the needed mods already entered. These modifications are for things like the rear O2, EGR, etc. It also has the Periphery bits already enabled and the immobilizer code already set to a null state. You won't be able to actually view any of these changes without an actual map to view in ECUFlash, so I will also post a non tuned version of my map which can be pulled up in ECUFlash so you can get an idea what I am talking about. If Hertz or one of the mods is reading this, it would make this a lot more accessible if I could somehow upload the documents to the site instead of linking to them since I don't have any way to make them available.

/brox

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts