The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel pump not priming with key on.

s this is an odd one i cant seem to put my finger on. the past few days my cars been having a hard start. and i have to keep it running for about 3 mins before i can even begin to think of letting off the throttle to let it idle. it only does this when its been sitting awhile. so anyway. i aheva wally 255 in my car. and i noticed today, that it isnt priming anymore when i turn the key to the on position. but if i jog the key i hear it kick on and shut off when the car stalls. i know this is my problem as my car has no fuel pressure for the first minute and once the psi stablilizes. my car runs flawlessly. does anyone know what it could be? i doubt its a relay... but it is a possibility? any suggestions are appreciated.

marvinmadman

Pump only turns on when the engine is spinning. It doesnt work like a Honda.

hmm well then im curious as to why im having such hard starts when it sits awhile

steve

Quoting marvinmadman:

^ This is correct.

Does your car still have all the "cold start" mechanisms? i.e. ISC/FIAV

Barnes

How long do you have to crank the car before it starts? I think we should consider other things besides fuel pressure. Have you actually measured fuel pressure with a gauge? Or are you just guessing?

jepherz

Staff member
If you have an aftermarket AFPR or fuel pump, maybe it's just leaking down and has to build up pressure again the next time it cranks.

Struc

Quoting steveGLS:
Quoting marvinmadman:

^ This is correct.

Does your car still have all the "cold start" mechanisms? i.e. ISC/FIAV

I'm not saying my car isn't fruity or something, but my fuel pump cycles whenever I turn the car to the "on" position. Stays on for about 5 seconds or something like that.

barnes. yes the FPO IS set i set it at work its 37 with teh vaccum line hooked up IIRC. all of the cold start items are hooked up. it jsut started doing it the day after i broke a wire off my o2 sensor plug and replaced it with another.. coincidence? as for having to crank it. i can get in it and it will crank for a good 15 seconds. but if i jog the key twice itll start up immediately the third time. then stall. i keep doing that while giving it throttle to keep it running. and it bogs badly when i give it any decent throttle. but once its running for a good minute. its perfect... idles perfect everything. im lost.

steve

I think theres a coolant temp sensor that can go bad, causing startup issues?

Barnes

Well, what I mean Rich, is have you actually watched the fuel pressure gauge as you are trying to start the car? This would actually require two people, but you see what I'm asking. This almost sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor to me.

well the temp sensor appears to be working. ill definitely give that a look. and barnes. no i didnt. i have a matco fp gause i manually hooked up. im heading to work to hook my 4 ws back up. when im there ill test my coolant temp sensor and check my FP during crank.

Barnes

Just remember these cars have like 3 temp sensors. One for the dash gauge, one for the ECU, and one for the A/C. So your dash gauge could work great, but the temp sensor for the ECU could be dead. Let us know what you find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok manb thanks. ill look it up in all data and get back to you about how i made out.

Well. Problem solved. It was the coolant temp sensor. I guess when I tugged the o2 wire it broke one of the wires on the two blade sensor. I repaired it and all of my issues are gone. Thanks for the help to all whom contributed

marvinmadman

Does your fuel pump prime with the key in the on position again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nope. must hae never done it in the past. i just assumed it did since i am used to hondas.

marvinmadman

Hence my first reply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I have to jiggle the key in my civic everyday cause the main relay kicks off my fuel pump on the highway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

steve

Quoting RichHenry:
Well. Problem solved. It was the coolant temp sensor. I guess when I tugged the o2 wire it broke one of the wires on the two blade sensor. I repaired it and all of my issues are gone. Thanks for the help to all whom contributed

OMG. Score one for me in the Tech section?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

spoulson

Quoting steveGLS:
OMG. Score one for me in the Tech section?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

42swbq1.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned