The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear brake upgrade

belize1334

I periodically come back to the question of how we might get better rear brakes without sacrificing the e-brake. I cam across this. It's a wilwood rear caliper with mechanical parking-brake similar to ours. I'm wondering if anybody has tried adapting one of these kits for our cars...

Whoodoo

Swap over 3kgt rear trailing arms. The 2nd gen vr4 has rigid 2 piston calipers. You have to sort out the cables, but RedTwo has done it and I plan to do it in the future. I have the trailing arms, calipers, and cables ready to go.

You get ~10mm wider track from what I hear, but that will bump out your wheels just enough to make it even with the fronts. Plus, you can keep your 4ws.

belize1334

I'm aware that 3kgt trailing arms are an option. But right now I want to explore this other option. For me the reasoning comes from the fact that DSP allows brake upgrades but does not allow replacement of suspension components such as trailing arms.

Whoodoo

Increase rotor size. you would need to make some brackets, but those aren't too difficult. The rear calipers are man enough for the job as is, but the rotors are really pretty small.

belize1334

I've thought of that but IMHO the real benefit of larger brakes is heat dissipation and for that you really need vented rotors. For the fronts increasing the rotor size wold probably help enormously but for the back it seems like you'd need a different caliper to accommodate a thicker vented rotor...

Another thought... what about the brakes / trailing arm from a 7th gen galant? Does it bear any similarity to the 3kgt setup?

Last edited:

FCR

You can do this....
img.php

RedTwo

lol they made a bracket and mounted the Brembo rear caliper and retained the 1G rear caliper to act as the handbrake.

click

belize1334

That's a little disappointing. I'd have liked to see an upgraded caliper; either vented or larger diameter or, ideally, both.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts