The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 8/9 rack in a GVR4 Anyone done it?

cobrajetguy

I am looking to swap and EVO 8 or 9 steering rack into my GVR4 that I am prepping to race. I was wondering if anyone has tried it or has any info on the swap. From the few pictures I have dug up it looks like I will have to make new mounts to attach it to the sub frame but that should not be a big deal. And if the hoses don't match up a local tube's and hose's shop can make me some new ends. I feel like this is doable and ideas?

Peter

3rdstrikedsm

I dug in to it a few years back and I remember it being more than doable but forgot what the biggest hurdle was? I will try to jog my memory.

Barnes

Seems like you have things covered. Just hopefully the part of the rack that has the shaft is in the right spot so you don't have to cut a hole in the subframe. Out of curiosity, why would you do this?

cobrajetguy

If you have ever driven an EVO you will notice that if you sneeze you will cross 3 lanes of traffic. I am looking for the quicker ratio of the rack.

Peter

alansupra94

Good information there. I was thinking about doing this but I already know that if my dad ever happened to drive my car, it will be going straight into a pole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Adorsey

Depending on the look of the evo rack that sounds like a good idea^. Our rack is super simple once you dive into it, obviously you don't have aws correct?
I depoweed my rack not to long ago. But for me to have a the ajility of evo streering, in a non-powered rack, It might have to me my next setup if it works.
Subsc.

jepherz

Staff member
I went with a quickener because there were enough differences in the way the rack bolted up (including lines) that it didn't seem worth it enough to me. One mount on the evo rack is completely different, and the lines were both different if I recall correctly. Using a quickener gives you basically the same ratio too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts