The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Emissions

I took my car to emissions and failed at 5 hydrocarbons when the limit was 1.5 and i put in a stock ecu, injectors, and maf. The car was at 3.14. I have a turbo back exhaust with a cat but not sure if thats the problem. I was also wondering if anyone has ever heard of putting alcohol in the fuel tank and it worked to pass emissions. Any help would be good, Thanks!

tarmacvr4

Alcohol in the fuel system can help, but if you are at 5 and then 3.+ it sounds like you are off on CO not HC. Basically the car is running to rich. If the catalyst is working properly it will clean up some of the CO. I don't know how your state tests but if you run on the rollers, make sure the catalyst is working properly and keep the engine rpm up while waiting in line to keep the cat lit off.

mitsuturbo

Being AWD it probably gets the two speed idle test.
Did you take it out and run it hard before taking it in for emissions? Getting the kitty nice and HOT will help with emissions as well.
An oil change can work wonders for emissions.
When i did emissions, i found that sometimes creating a small vacuum leak at the manifold (leaning out the mix) on a car that had no tuning ability would make them pass.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts