GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » 1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?
Previous thread Next thread

1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?

blkchr91
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 926908 posted 08/31/10 09:04 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The previous owner of this vehicle put a 1g power steering rack on the car and got rid of the 4WS. I believe that the power steering pump may be dead (no power steering even though there is fluid) (I ran it low on fluid and refilling it hasn't helped). I also noticed that one of the steering pump boots was broken a few weeks ago. What do the boots do and could that be the cause of my no power steering?

I checked and it looks like the DSM and GVR4 ps pump use different part numbers.

Does anyone know how I can tell which pump my car has? Are they 100% interchangeable?

Thanks

Edited by blkchr91 (08/31/10 10:31 PM)

| | | IP: (71.63.54.204) | Report this post to a Moderator

SouthCaliVR4
Gas Analyzer
825/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 927079 posted 09/01/10 02:06 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I assume you mean the dust boots on the rack, in which case no that will cause premature wear on the end seal & eventually a leak. It does sound as though the pump is bad but I don't know off the top of my head if they're the same as dsm, I think so but I'm not sure.

How do you make a small fortune racing? Start with a very large one!!!

Posts: 984 | From: North county San Diego | Member Since: 07/31/10 | IP: (75.37.164.150) | Report this post to a Moderator

Justin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 927138 posted 09/01/10 06:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
You should be able to run the dsm pump with no issues. I have before. IIRC, the different part numbers are there because some pumps have an all cast iron housing, while others had an aluminum body with a cast iron back plate. I've run all types, with no noticeable difference in performance.

| | | IP: (74.82.64.32) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2468

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.099 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page