The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?

The previous owner of this vehicle put a 1g power steering rack on the car and got rid of the 4WS. I believe that the power steering pump may be dead (no power steering even though there is fluid) (I ran it low on fluid and refilling it hasn't helped). I also noticed that one of the steering pump boots was broken a few weeks ago. What do the boots do and could that be the cause of my no power steering?

I checked and it looks like the DSM and GVR4 ps pump use different part numbers.

Does anyone know how I can tell which pump my car has? Are they 100% interchangeable?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

I assume you mean the dust boots on the rack, in which case no that will cause premature wear on the end seal & eventually a leak. It does sound as though the pump is bad but I don't know off the top of my head if they're the same as dsm, I think so but I'm not sure.

You should be able to run the dsm pump with no issues. I have before. IIRC, the different part numbers are there because some pumps have an all cast iron housing, while others had an aluminum body with a cast iron back plate. I've run all types, with no noticeable difference in performance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned