The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problem with Transmission engagement

The_Big_Weave

Put a stage 2.5 tre in the galant. The problem is that when I first start the car up when it is cold it will grind into first gear, never any other gear. If I pump the pedal a bit or wait a second it goes in fine. No high gear grinds or when it is warm it works fine and will never grind. I did over fill the tranny a bit when I filled it, could this be the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

uncleben4rice

Myself included, I know of a total four cars with that same tranny and none of us have had a problem so far. We grind because we have twin disk setups.

The_Big_Weave

I am running a stock clutch till i get the money for a new one, I got the tranny in a trade and didnt have the money for a clutch and my other tranny was going out.

turbowop

Quoting uncleben4rice:
We grind because we have twin disk setups.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You shouldn't be grinding anything due to a twin disk. I know I don't.

alansupra94

^^^

I was about to say the same thing.

Something was not adjusted correctly.

sixsixtwo

I can count four more cars that will soon be posting threads titled "Problem with TRE".

toybreaker

iconoclast
What fluid are you using?

You may have an issue with the clutch not fully dis-engaging.

Try a quick test to eliminate it as a causitive factor. Find a flat piece of road, fully depress the clutch, put the car in first gear, and bring the revs up to 4 or 5k. If the car creeps forward, you aren't fully disengaging the clutch.

Any tranny would grind at that point...

As an aside, your thread title suggests you're having a problem with tre.

Have you tried to contact Jon with a clear, concise e-mail about the problem?

Do yourself, (and all of us a favor,) and troubleshoot your problem more thoroughly, before making a thread with a title like you have done.

The reality is you're having a problem with a used product that may have a backstory to it, not tre or Mr Ripple himself.

I left the business and quit helping people over exactly this kind of thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

sounds like a clutch issue more than a trans issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bazeng

Try and pop it into 2nd and then first...
If it works then it is most likely and engagement issue.

I had this problem and required a slight adjustment in the clutch pedal (it wasn't fully disengaging)...

It is all good now.. I only required about 2-5mm's adjustment in the clutch pedal

thecman02

Yeah, and if your out of adjustment your pedal assembly will need to be fixed.

As for problems with TRE. The only major problem with TRE is getting ahold of John. He does great work though. I've seen parts from competing companies that have needed work done from John because he is one of the only people with the tools to do it. If you take the trans out John marks these transmissions in numerous places so he can ID work that has been done to the transmission. If you call him you can at least get a rough estimate withing a year of when that transmission had work done.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting The_Big_Weave:
If I pump the pedal a bit or wait a second it goes in fine.

This is pretty much a give-away of where your problem lies. Your clutch is not disengaging fully or fast enough for the shaft to stop spinning.

The_Big_Weave

I did not buy it used and i did not buy it from john. I got it from a guy in PA that rebuilt the tranny himself that used to work for john. I am using 80w-90 for the summer and going to 75w-90 for the winter. I have never messed with the clutch what do i need to do to adjust it? the only thing that bothers me is that it only does it once and then its gone till I quit driving it again.

belize1334

It could be that it's a lubrication thing if it's happening immediately after startup. What happens if you let it idle for a while before driving? What happens if you start off in second gear and then come to a stop and THEN try to shift into first? Try to isolate the difference between the first shift of the day and the first timing shifting into first for the day.

As for clutch adjustment, the RoadRaceEngineering clutch page has a good tip on inspecting the position of the clutch fork to know whether you're getting adequate release. JacksTransmissions also has a diagnostic technique that's a little more involved. Get all four wheels off the ground (jackstands not orbit ). Put it in first with the clutch to the floor. Rev it up until the wheels start to move from the drag of the "released" clutch. If the wheels move below 6k-7k rpm then you're not getting full release.

boostedinaz

If that is the case then you 110% need to change the title of this thread. How do you figure you have a problem with TRE if you didn't even buy the tranny from TRE? I swear sometime people amaze me.

The_Big_Weave

I am not blaming TRE at all I just wanted people to know that I had a TRE and the tranny was grinding into first gear.

Rausch

Quoting boostedinaz:
If that is the case then you 110% need to change the title of this thread. How do you figure you have a problem with TRE if you didn't even buy the tranny from TRE?

- +done

I changed the title because your concern has noting to do with the vendor you listed in the title. This is how rumors start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You aren't running the correct fluid in the transmission either. You should be running a much thinner oil.

Try Pennzoil syncromesh, I have had wonderful luck with this and can be had at any local parts store.

3rdstrikedsm

+1 on the fluid change if it is still there after you change the fluid then I would for sure look in to the clutch or pedal adjustment.

If not then you maye have worn engagment teeth on the gear itself.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned