GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » MAP signal as TPS
Previous thread Next thread

MAP signal as TPS

blue642
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 852202 posted 11/24/09 11:31 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
So this is more of a discussion thread and I don't really plan on implementing it at this time. It just that I stumbled across it the other day and found it kind of interesting. Figured I'd throw it out there and see where it leads.
I was flipping through an old issue of SCC and was reading an article on turboing KA24DE. I was intrigued by how some of the tricks they used, one of whick was to switch out the TPS and replace its ECU signal with a 2 bar MAP in the manifold. 0-5V signal based on pressure allowed better control, especially when it starting to build boost, as it shows a lot more useful info between the MAF and MAP in regards to how much air is actually going into the engine. Guess I should note that they used rising rate FPR to compensate on the fuel side.
Obviously a trick like this makes sense since the factory ECU for an NA car would more prone to run lean at part throttle. My question is how well would it work compared to our factor MAS and TPS setup, or a standard MAP conversion setup like DSMap or DSMLink w/ MAP which is still used in conjunction with TPS. Since the ECU correlates airflow, throttle, and RPMs to determine which base fuel maps to use, would using a MAP as a replacement for TPS give a more accurate reference by which to pull tables? What kind of effects on low/midrange driveability would it have? Obviously it would take a lot to initially get it up and running, but it seems like it would be more accurate and intuitive to tune.

| | | IP: (147.185.160.242) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 852383 posted 11/24/09 08:10 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm pretty sure people have done this with a VPC set up. I can't remember where but I do remember reading about it and giving it consideration at one point. My car ran very well with the VPC set up the normal way so I decided to leave it alone.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (68.197.62.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

jepherz Galant VR4.org Moderator
Too Clean
1881/2000
50/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 852403 posted 11/24/09 09:03 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
I believe one of the ways people tune with megasquirt is by setting up the tables to RPM vs. tps, which is kinda doing the opposite.

-Jeff
1881/2000
50/1000

Posts: 7871 | From: KC, Missouri | Member Since: 08/08/04 | IP: (75.87.128.187) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 648

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.344 seconds in which 0.322 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page