The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wastegate setup for gt40 on the street

MitchooO

hey guys i am getting ready to finally put everything back together the way i wanted it on the vr4, built bottom end with a good head and valvetrain, im going to be running a GT4094r on a big ol top mount,850 inj for now to get it on the road on 15-18 lbs. and a set of 272 or 280 cams, i havent bought them yet. the manifold has a big round v band flange, looks like a 44 or a 50? ive never owned anything bigger than a 2 bolt 38mm so i dont know wat im going to need to control this thing, i was going to re weld a few things on it and run dual 38's but if i can id just like to run one big one, are their any advantages/disadvantages over either setup, anyone else running this big of a turbo on the street with either wg setup? i can post some pics of the setup if it may help, thanks alot for your info guys

Rausch

Lower boost = bigger gate.

The gate has to pass more volume to maintain lower boost levels. Keep in mind that if you have a large gate and are trying to run higher boost levels later, you may run into some hang-ups.

The tial 44mm will be fine for your application. It is true a smaller gate will control higher boost levels better, but we have run a lot of larger turbos on a single 44mm.We just ran a 44mm on a BorgWarner S366 ETT we originally tuned it on 24 psi and now it is tuned at 34 psi on the same gate with no issues.You might want to also take a look at the new precision 46mm gate. It is a little more money but you get all the springs with it.

bazeng

44mm here.

It'll run just like any other external gate.
What controller do you plan to use? or will you be keeping it mechanical?

MitchooO

i have the greddy profec b and i was probly going to try running a little less but if it will stick at about 20-25lbs. i guess ill get it tuned for that!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned