The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weird noises from clutch?

MellowVR4

ok i kno these forums is just for gvr4, but i recently installed a stage2 clutch in my frinds 3000gt vr4. couple days later some crazy cricket sound coming from around the engine bay mostly by the tranny. you only here it when you press the clutch in just a little bit, i will say no more than two inches in. then it goes away wen you press it all the way. the clutch has barely 350 miles on it, its still being broken in i have never heard no noise like that. im not sure wat that noise is. also you can hear some weird noise coming from the shifter inside the car, but you only hear it wen you have all the windows up and the music down. if anybody can help ill appreciated. thnx

fivestardsm

Most common issue would be the throw out bearing, but Im going to say Possibly the input bearing is shot. Was the throw out bearing new? How was the clutch that came out of it? I am guesing it was toast. Did it look like it had alot of ware on the splines or at the springs? Did you check the input shaft for slop?

MellowVR4

yea when i removed the old clutch it was pretty chewed up it was bad, the throw out bearing was new when i installed the new clutch, i did grease up the throw out bearing and im pretty sure i greased up the input shaft i cant remember. and i didnt check the shaft for any slop. but i mean the car drives great, goes into gear with no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MellowVR4

what the worse thing that can happen if the input shaft bearing is going bad?

fivestardsm

Basicaly, it will lead to clutch chatter and failure. Also, it will endup destroying the trans after time.

As for it actually being bad, well that is something that you would need to pull it back out and physicaly check it, but I would first take it to someone that can actually hear the sound and tell you what they think. Thats just my oppinion, but you want to make sure before you go through all that work.

MellowVR4

how do i check for play in the input shaft bearing once the tranny is out?

656of1000

Just grab the input shaft and see if it wiggles up and down. I'd imagine a very small amount of play is OK, but too much and it's no good.

For what it's worth, I've installed new TOBs and had them squeal, even though I lubed the crap out of them. It may just be a crappy part. Did you get an OE mitsu, or whatever came with the clutch? My experience with non OE TOBs is that they are lees quiet. Food for thought. Good luck!

MellowVR4

yea it was the throw out bearing that came with the spec clutch kit. but it drives great. so will see what happens. but taking the transmission off was easy, but man that thing is super heavy getting back in. not fun, atleast we can man handle our trannys, you cant even move that one .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts