The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vr4 front spindle vs. gs spindle?

14u2nV

Does anyone know of any difference between the two? I've been running Gs spindles up front for a long time, and was comparing them to the vr4 set I have, and aside from the Gs having no ABS provisions, they look identical. I haven't had time to dig into caps to compare, thought I'd see if anyone knows offhand.

Basically, is there any difference in front drivelines between the galants. Only things I have seen are the subframe opening for the transfer case and the calipers, which bolt up the same, but are just single piston.

If I don't get any input, I'll research it myself later and post what I find out.

14u2nV

Ok, putting them side by side, I see a difference. The vr4 spindle puts the steering arm up a little higher than the gs. If you look at the pic, you can see that the vr4 arm curves up then over, whereas the gs just goes pretty much straight over. Also the vr4 arm has more "meat" at the base. Any guess as to why this is?

*The GS was a 92, vr4 was a 91.

The one with the hub is the GS.

gtluke

yeah same way as fwd vs awd talons. put on the GS ones if your car is lowered. I put on FWD dsm one's because my car is lowered, it helps keep the rack aligned with the rod end locations helping with bump steer.

14u2nV

But why does the vr4 have taller ones? Does it come "stock" with a higher ride than a GS?

gtluke

yeah both awd models are all jacked up for some reason.

Armitage

I tried to put GSR front hubs on my VR4 but the camber was all messed up.

Dialcaliper

It's also odd that the VR-4 hubs have the strut mount bolts lower down than the GS hubs even though the ride height is higher (They're inline with the caliper mounting bolts instead of higher up) - I presume to increase the suspension travel? Might explain the camber problems.

Also, the steering balljoint location looks like it's in two different places from the two pictures, so it's hard to tell how much difference there is (all that matters is the location of the lower surface where the tie-rod end bolts on)

A picture with the centers of the bearings/axles lined up would show things a little bit clearer

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't think anything is different between the two except for the steering linkage arm height.

Here's two pics with the parts lined up as well as I could manage.

The top piece is a FWD Galant steering knuckle, and the lower is a TEL AWD front assembly.

I don't know the exact ride height difference between the FWD and AWD Galants, but IIRC, the 1g TEL difference was about 19mm. I forgot to measure the difference when I had them stacked, but I researched this before and I think it was about 21~22 mm between the FWD and AWD TEL.

curtis

Now thats the kind of stuff I like to see pop up around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

14u2nV

Quoting Dialcaliper:
It's also odd that the VR-4 hubs have the strut mount bolts lower down than the GS hubs even though the ride height is higher (They're inline with the caliper mounting bolts instead of higher up)

I've been trying to figure out what your talking about, and think I figured it out. If your basing that off my pix, you are fooled by your eye. The way I took the pic, it made one look offset, but really they are the same, as you can see in icemans post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts