GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Head gasket question, not my VR4 though
Previous thread Next thread

Head gasket question, not my VR4 though

deez
Nutz

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 782582 posted 04/19/09 06:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
A short time ago, I bought an 88 Conquest with a blown head gasket. it ran, but blew steam. I just got done doing the head gasket, drove it around the block, and noticed a slight amount of milkyness in the oil. Well the car had sat for 5 years, so I hoped it was just condensation or coolant that got into the oil passages when I did the head gasket. I just changed the oil, drove it for about 3 miles, popped the oil filler to see if there was any milky look, and steam or smoke came out of the valve cover for some time. I checked the oil on the dipstick, and it looks fine. So, if its steam from water mixing, can there be that much water in the oil to cause it to steam out the valve cover? And if so, wouldn't there be obvious signs in the oil and the water level dropping? How can I tell whats going on here?

#802/1000 Daily Driver SOLD!
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye
click

Posts: 1150 | From: Chico, CA | Member Since: 05/29/04 | IP: (69.228.117.0) | Report this post to a Moderator

tredmkv
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 782590 posted 04/19/09 06:38 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
was the head or block checked for warpage?

| | | IP: (24.56.56.69) | Report this post to a Moderator

deez
Nutz

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 782591 posted 04/19/09 06:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
the head is new, as for the block, I just put it back together.

#802/1000 Daily Driver SOLD!
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye
click

Posts: 1150 | From: Chico, CA | Member Since: 05/29/04 | IP: (69.228.117.0) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 723

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.159 seconds in which 0.14 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page